Estate Laws in Kansas

by Heather Frances J.D. Google
Kansas estate laws will help distribute your property to your heirs.

Kansas estate laws will help distribute your property to your heirs.

Hemera Technologies/ Images

The Kansas Probate Code governs how Kansas estates are distributed after the owner’s death. This process will be different depending on the size of the decedent's estate and whether he died with or without a will. Proper estate planning before your death can help make the probate process easier for the people you leave behind.

Protect your loved ones by a legally binding will. Make a Will Online Now


Kansas allows any adult of sound mind to make a will to describe how he wishes to have his property distributed after his death. To be effective, your will must follow Kansas requirements, such as having two qualified witnesses present during the signing of the will. You can also change or revoke your will at any time prior to death. Since your will must be formally submitted to the probate court within six months after your death, it is important to let others know where you store your will.

Intestate Succession

If you die without a valid will, Kansas law provides a method called intestate succession to distribute your property among your relatives. For example, if you die while married but have no children, your entire estate will pass to your spouse. If you die with a spouse and a child, half of your estate will go to your spouse and the other half to your child.


In Kansas, if you have a will, the person who administers your estate is called an executor; if you don’t have a will, this person is known as an administrator. Your executor or administrator will be charged with many tasks to close and distribute your estate, including notifying your heirs and creditors about the probate proceedings, paying your taxes and other debts out of your estate’s assets, and properly distributing the estate.


If you are not a resident of Kansas but have property located in the state, a Kansas court will exercise probate jurisdiction over that property when you die. This means your executor or administrator will have to follow Kansas probate procedures to distribute the parts of your estate located in Kansas. For example, if you own a vacation property in Kansas but live in Missouri, both states will have some control over your estate since they each have jurisdiction over the property located within their boundaries. However, you do not have to have a will for each state since Kansas will honor a will created in another state as long as it complies with the other state’s laws, is in writing and signed.