How to Handle Rent Obligations During Divorce

by Teo Spengler

You spouse has moved out of the house and filed for divorce. It may seem like the end of the world, but life goes on and the rent continues to come due. If your spouse was the wage earner of the family, the divorce court can order him to pay you temporary support.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More

Amicable Agreement

If you and your spouse are able to work out financial arrangements amicably, you will save yourselves time and money. Even before you negotiate and finalize a divorce settlement agreement, discuss the immediate financial situation. Your spouse may agree to assume the rent on the family home during the divorce process.

Temporary Support

If your spouse refuses to discuss financial support during the divorce, the court will help. File a request with the divorce court judge for temporary support to tide you over until the final divorce property settlement and support award are complete. If you are not sure how to proceed, contact the court's family law facilitator. In many jurisdictions, you can garnish the wages of your spouse so that your temporary support is paid to you directly by your spouse's employer.