Obtaining Name Change Documents in California

by John Stevens J.D.

Because requests for name changes are common and do not involve litigation, California has simplified the process by producing standard forms that an applicant can use throughout the state. The forms are readily available, and the fill-in-the-blank format makes them fairly straightforward to complete. You can acquire all necessary documents from the court clerk’s office at your local courthouse at no charge, but the forms are also available online for no cost.

Get help changing your legal name. Learn More

Step 1

Direct your internet browser to the California Judicial Counsel’s website.

Step 2

Click on the “Self-Help” tab at the top of the screen and select the "Name Change" option from the drop-down menu.

Step 3

Click the “Forms” selection that appears under the “Name Change” option listed in the vertical menu bar on the left side of the screen.

Step 4

Click on the “Forms for Name Change for an Adult,” “Forms for Name Change for a Child,” or the “Forms for Name Change for a Guardian” heading, as appropriate for your needs, to display all applicable forms.