What Does an Affidavit of Non-Military Service Mean?

By Beverly Bird

The Servicemembers Civil Relief Act protects military personnel from having court judgments taken against them while they're on active duty. In cases where a spouse is unresponsive to divorce filings, courts require that plaintiffs or petitioners supply proof that their spouses are not serving in the military. You can provide the court with such proof by submitting an affidavit of non-military service.

When to File the Affidavit

If your spouse files an answer to your petition or complaint, it means that he’s actively participating in your divorce, so you don't need an affidavit of non-military service because the terms of the SCRA do not apply. However, if he doesn't answer, the court will want to know that he chose not to do so – and that he wasn't denied the opportunity because he's on active duty. When you request a default judgment or decree because your spouse hasn't participated in the proceedings, the law requires you to attach an affidavit of non-military service to your paperwork.

What to Say in the Affidavit

State courts usually have their own versions of these affidavits, but the form typically asks you to state under oath that your spouse is not in the military. You must also attach documentation to your affidavit, proving this. You can visit the Defense Manpower Data Center website and provide your spouse's Social Security number and birth date. The website will provide you with a report, stating that your spouse is not serving. Your other option is to contact all five branches of the military and get statements from each.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
What Are the Rules for Serving Divorce Papers?


Related articles

What Happens If Divorce Papers Go Unsigned?

During the divorce process, the court and individual spouses’ attorneys ask both parties to sign agreements, petitions and affidavits. If one spouse refuses to sign the divorce papers, it is still possible for the divorce to proceed. Such refusals usually slow down the divorce process and may lead to additional hearings, trials or mediation sessions, but will not preclude the couple from ending the marriage.

How to Serve Divorce Papers in Texas

Often, the easiest part of getting a divorce is filing your petition with the court. Your next step after the court filing is to inform your spouse that you’ve filed the initial papers in the proceedings. This is known as “effectuating service,” and involves ensuring that your spouse has a copy of your divorce petition. Texas law allows you to accomplish this in a variety of ways.

Florida Divorce Laws With a Missing Spouse

When you are unable to locate your spouse, you may still obtain a divorce under Florida law, but it takes some extra effort and steps. To begin the divorce process in Florida, you must be a Florida resident for at least six months prior to filing, file a divorce petition with the court and serve the petition and summons on your spouse. However, if your spouse is missing, you must comply with Florida's constructive service statute, which is service by publication.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

What if Your Spouse Refuses to Be Served Divorce Papers in NY State?

If you are seeking a divorce in the state of New York and your spouse refuses to receive the papers, you may still ...

Louisiana Laws for Serving Divorce Papers

Divorce is rarely an easy process. Louisiana law streamlines it in some ways and complicates it in others. After you ...

How to Serve Military Personnel With Divorce Papers

Military courts cannot grant divorces, so military couples must get divorced in state courts following the same basic ...

The Inability to Serve Divorce Papers in Texas

It's frustrating when the respondent in a lawsuit is dodging process, especially in a divorce case. Ordinarily, a ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED