What Is an Agreed Entry in a Divorce?

By Beverly Bird

When spouses agree to part ways and concur on all aspects of how they’re going to divorce, there’s no need for a court to get involved. A judge only needs to make their deal official. Spouses can submit their settlement to the court and jointly request to end the marriage; this becomes an agreed entry of divorce. They can handle post-divorce issues in the same manner if changes occur that require modification of their agreement.

Decree or Judgment

Spouses can negotiate a marital settlement on their own, through mediation, or with the help of professionals in a process called collaborative divorce. Collaborative divorce involves a team of professionals to address different issues and facilitate a settlement that works for everybody. A psychologist might offer input regarding custody issues. A certified public accountant might make recommendations regarding assets and debts. When the spouses reach an agreement, their attorneys will submit it to the court as an agreed entry, finalizing the marriage. Spouses working on their own in an uncontested divorce can do the same thing.

Post-Judgment Orders

Ex-spouses can address issues that crop up post-divorce in the same manner. For example, if one spouse was to retain the marital home, then found out she couldn’t qualify to refinance the mortgage into her own name, the parties could submit an agreed entry to the court to revise that particular clause of their agreement. If a non-custodial parent loses his job and falls behind in child support, the custodial parent might agree to waive the past due support to help him get back on his feet when he finds work again. A post-judgment order can address these types of situations. After a divorce, an agreed entry is the spouses' consent to enter an order changing the terms of their decree. Some states call these agreements consent orders.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More

Conversion to Order

An agreement itself is not binding until a judge signs it and the court creates a record of it. When spouses agree to an uncontested or collaborative divorce settlement, they submit an agreed entry with the marital settlement agreement or property settlement agreement attached. A judge signs it and it becomes their divorce decree. When a judge signs a consent order or post-judgment agreed entry, it supersedes the terms of any pre-existing orders to which it applies.


An agreed entry is as binding as a decree or order issued by a judge after a trial or hearing. A spouse can’t change his mind about what he agreed to and withdraw the entry of the order or decree. If a spouse refuses to comply with the terms of an agreed entry, the other spouse can file a contempt motion against him, just as she could if the judge had issued the terms of the order.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
Modified Judgment of Divorce in Michigan


Related articles

What to Expect at ERC for an Arizona Divorce

In Arizona, many couples avoid the cost and uncertainty of going to trial to obtain a divorce by attending an Early Resolution Conference. Arizona courts may require couples to attend an ERC, where a neutral third party assists the couple in figuring out a divorce settlement both spouses can live with. When the couple cannot agree, it will be up to the judge to determine the terms of the divorce.

Divorce Laws on Refinancing

Divorcing couples have to find a way to split their assets, including the marital home, as part of the divorce procedure. If one spouse plans to live in the home after the divorce, the court can order, or the spouses can agree to have, the spouse who remains take over the financial responsibility of paying the mortgage. However, there are few laws that specifically govern refinancing for a divorce situation and such refinances can be complicated.

Temporary Orders Vs. Permanent Orders in a Divorce

The divorce process can take a considerable time from beginning to end. Often, it’s impractical or even impossible for a couple to wait until the end of the road to decide issues such as custody and support. All states have a system in place to allow spouses to petition the court for temporary orders to maintain the status quo until their divorces are final. In legalese, these are “pendente lite” orders, which means “pending a final decree.”

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

What Is a Stipulated Divorce Hearing?

In a stipulated divorce hearing, a judge reviews a divorce settlement and decides whether to approve it. Some states ...

Does Mediation Mean You Are Divorced?

Mediation can help couples reach agreement on the terms of their divorce, avoiding long court fights and eliminating ...

Does a Divorce Settlement Require a Refinance on an Upside Down Mortgage?

An upside down or underwater mortgage is one in which the homeowner owes more to his mortgage lender than the house is ...

What Happens During a Divorce Hearing in Florida?

A divorce can feel like a lengthy or intimidating process, especially if spouses have a contested case that requires ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED