Alabama Collection & Distribution of Child Support

By Cindy Chung

When two parents have children together but don't share a household, one parent often needs to provide financial support to the other parent. The state of Alabama assists many parents who pay or collect child support. Although some parents may choose to pay support voluntarily, a state court or child support agency cannot enforce an arrangement without a court order.

Getting a Child Support Order

Before the Alabama Department of Human Resources' Child Support Enforcement Division can collect and distribute child support payments, the parents must have a court order for child support. A parent can obtain a court order as part of an existing case for divorce or separation. Unmarried parents may need a paternity case to establish a father's parental rights and obligations unless they have already signed an acknowledgment of paternity and submitted the form to the state. After establishing paternity, an unmarried mother may obtain an order for child support. In addition, the state also requires child support in some foster care cases.

Receiving Child Support Services

The Child Support Enforcement Division offers several services related to child support. If the parent already has a court order for child support, the agency can assist with collection, distribution and enforcement. If a parent needs a court order for child support, or if a parent is missing or needs to establish paternity, the agency may be of assistance as well. In general, a parent may choose whether or not she wants to apply for child support services. However, parents who receive public benefits through Temporary Assistance for Needy Families, or TANF, must participate in child support services. The parent's TANF caseworker will refer the family to the agency.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More

Collection and Distribution of Child Support

The Child Support Enforcement Division collects court-ordered child support on behalf of parents who receive child support services. When parents send payments through the agency, the agency records and tracks the payments. The parent paying support may do so by mailing a check or by using the agency's online system. In the case of a TANF recipient with a child support order, the agency collects the payments owed to the parent. In compliance with state and federal laws, the agency must keep a specified amount from the child support payment. In general, the agency keeps all but a nominal amount of the TANF benefit the parent receives.

Child Support Enforcement

When a parent has a court order, the Child Support Enforcement Division can implement income withholding to collect child support from the paying parent's paychecks. The state arranges income withholding through the parent's employer. In addition, the agency may collect past-due support by intercepting a parent's tax refund from the Internal Revenue Service. After enforcing and collecting money owed by the parent paying support, the agency processes and distributes the payments due to the parent receiving support.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
Wyoming Child Support Laws



Related articles

Idaho Child Support Laws for a Non-Paying Parent

When parents separate or divorce, the custodial parent is typically entitled to child support from the parent who does not have primary custody. Idaho's child support guidelines set forth the amount the non-custodial parent must pay. The paying parent generally must make child support payments until a child turns 18. If payments are not made, Idaho's Department of Health and Welfare is authorized to enforce a court order to obtain payments.

Alabama Child Support Arrears Laws

Child support is awarded to a custodial parent to provide financial assistance with a child's basic needs, including food, clothing and shelter. Support is generally owed until the child turns 18. When a non-custodial parent does not pay as ordered, the owed support becomes past due, or in arrears. In Alabama, the Department of Human Resources' Child Support Enforcement Program aids custodial parents in the collection of child support arrearages.

Penalties for Child Support Arrears in California

Falling behind in child support payments under a divorce order can lead to the initiation of enforcement proceedings against a noncustodial parent in the state of California. While this process often involves the Department of Child Services, certain private agencies, attorneys or the other parent can also begin the action. In some cases, penalties for nonpayment can include wage garnishment and suspension of drivers' or professional licenses, as well as tax liens and even jail time. However, if certain circumstance have been met, the noncustodial parent may be entitled to a reduction of the child support amounts by asking the court via a petition for a modification.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

Ohio Child Support Laws for Public Assistance

Ohio child support laws are meant to ensure that both parents contribute to a child's financial needs after divorce. ...

Texas Child Support Questions

Child support is the financial assistance paid by one parent to the parent with primary custody of the children after ...

According to Kentucky Law, What Happens if a Man Isn't Able to Pay Child Support?

A noncustodial parent in Kentucky is responsible for paying child support until his child graduates from high school ...

Delaware Child Support Laws

Child support often affects the finances of parents going through divorce, custody disputes or paternity cases in ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED