How to Amend a Discharged Chapter 7 Bankruptcy

By Kevin Owen

Chapter 7 bankruptcy is referred to as a liquidation bankruptcy because your nonexempt assets are sold by a court-appointed trustee to pay your creditors. After all of your eligible assets are liquidated, you receive a discharge of any remaining debt owed to the creditors listed in your bankruptcy petition. However, if you forgot to list a creditor or asset, or were unaware of a debt owed or asset owned at the time you filed for bankruptcy, you may be able to reopen your case to include these items.

Notice to Creditors

A key principle in bankruptcy law is that your creditors must be given notice of your bankruptcy filing with sufficient time to file their claims against your bankruptcy estate. Since your creditors receive payment only for debts they can prove you owe, they must file evidence that you owed them money. If you failed to list a creditor on your initial petition, the creditor would not have received notice of the bankruptcy filing; thus, been unable to file a claim with the bankruptcy trustee.

Distributed Asset Cases

Many petitioners' Chapter 7 bankruptcy cases do not have assets available for distribution to creditors, either because they have no property of value or their assets are exempt by law from liquidation. However, if you had assets that were sold by the trustee and distributed to your listed creditors, you are not eligible to receive a discharge from the omitted creditor because it did not receive its portion of the asset distribution. Therefore, in such cases, reopening your bankruptcy to include the unlisted creditor will not discharge the forgotten debt.

Get a free, confidential bankruptcy evaluation. Learn More

Motion to Amend

Forgetting to list a creditor in bankruptcy is not an infrequent occurrence. Therefore, the courts have set up a procedure that allows you to reopen your previously closed bankruptcy and amend your initial petition to list the omitted creditor. The process requires you file a written request, called a motion, with the bankruptcy court that handled your case and ask that it reopen your bankruptcy. You will need to explain how you need to amend your petition, and any other schedules and forms filed with the court, to include a creditor that you omitted in the previous filing and provide a statement to the court explaining why the creditor was not listed in the initial filing.

Amended Forms

The Chapter 7 bankruptcy petition requires that you fill out various forms, called schedules, disclosing information necessary for processing your case. When amending your petition, you must attach a corrected copy of the petition for bankruptcy as well as any amended schedules to the motion to amend your bankruptcy petition. The amended petition and schedules should appear exactly as they had in your previous filing, except they should now include the omitted creditor's information or identification of the forgotten asset. Common schedules that may need to be corrected include "Schedule D -- Creditors Holding Secured Claims" and "Schedule E -- Creditors Holding Unsecured Priority Claims." Copies of most bankruptcy forms are available on the U.S. Courts' website or at the clerk's office at your bankruptcy court.


The motion to amend and any exhibits should be filed with the clerk of the bankruptcy court, and a copy must be given to the trustee who was assigned to your case. You will also be required to pay a filing fee to the bankruptcy court at the time you submit the motion. After the motion is filed, and a copy of the filing is served on the trustee, you will receive a scheduling order from the court notifying you of important dates in your reopened case, including any dates when you are to appear in court.

No-Asset Cases

If your bankruptcy was a no-asset Chapter 7 -- wherein you did not have any assets liquidated for sale - and you are seeking to add a forgotten creditor, you may not need to reopen your case. Many courts have concluded that it is unnecessary to reopen a closed Chapter 7 to add an unlisted creditor since there is no money to be distributed to it. In these cases, the court simply deems the debt to have been discharged when the initial case was closed. However, you must still give notice to the creditor and the court that you wish to discharge the forgotten debt as part of your prior bankruptcy.

Get a free, confidential bankruptcy evaluation. Learn More
What Do I Do When I Leave Out a Creditor in a Bankruptcy?



Related articles

How to File a Claim for Money Owed in a Chapter 13 Situation

In the Chapter 13 bankruptcy context, a Proof of Claim is a form used by creditors to notify the bankruptcy court that the person who filed for bankruptcy, called the debtor, owes the creditor money. Shortly after the debtor files for bankruptcy, the court mails each of the debtor’s creditors notice that the debtor is filing for bankruptcy. If a creditor wants to receive the money owed by the debtor, she must file a Proof of Claim form. If the creditor does not file a Proof of Claim, she waives the right to receive payment.

Types of Bankruptcy Fraud

Bankruptcy fraud is engaging in any act that misleads the bankruptcy court. There are several types of bankruptcy fraud including concealing assets and filing for bankruptcy multiple times in different states. If you commit bankruptcy fraud, the consequences can be severe including the dismissal of your bankruptcy case, fines and possible jail time. Learning about the possible types of bankruptcy fraud can help you avoid making costly mistakes.

How to Correct Mistakes on Bankruptcy Forms Already Submitted

When you filed your petition for bankruptcy with the U.S. Bankruptcy Court, you were required to state under oath that the statements made therein were true and correct. Making false statements in court pleadings may subject you to severe criminal and civil penalties. Therefore, if you made any erroneous statements on your bankruptcy petition, you should amend your filings with the court to correct any mistakes. Under bankruptcy rules, you are permitted to amend your petition any time prior to the closing of your bankruptcy case.


Related articles

Can an Item Be Added to a Bankruptcy That Has Been Discharged?

Filing for bankruptcy means putting your financial life under a microscope. You must account for every dime you've ...

What Happens If I Forgot to List All My Bills for My Chapter 13 Bankruptcy?

Chapter 13 bankruptcy gives you protection from creditors while you meet the terms of a court-approved repayment plan. ...

Do I Have to Reopen an Asset Chapter 7 for an Unlisted Creditor?

Bankruptcy can give you a fresh start financially by erasing certain debts, but federal bankruptcy law gives certain ...

Can You Reopen a Bankruptcy Chapter 7?

Under Chapter 7 bankruptcy, most of your consumer debts are discharged by a court order within approximately six months ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED