How to Answer the Court in a Foreclosure Case

By Wayne Thomas

Losing your home can be a devastating experience. However, being late on mortgage payments does not give a lending company the automatic right to take your property -- the matter must first go through a court process known as foreclosure. If you have received notice that a foreclosure action has been filed, you will need to follow the rules on how to respond spelled out in your state’s laws.

Foreclosure Overview

A foreclosure action is a legal process by a lender regarding a mortgage loan on real estate. Specifically, the lender is asking the court to order the sale of your property to satisfy the unpaid loan balance that is currently in default. Foreclosures proceed just like any other civil lawsuit, and they’re governed by procedural court rules under state law. The case typically starts with the lender filing a complaint with the court and then delivering or "serving" you a copy of this document along with a summons.

Response Timeline

Under the laws of most states, you are required to respond in writing after you receive the foreclosure paperwork. The document you will use in your response is referred to as an "answer" and it must follow certain formatting guidelines under state law. Some states offer fill-in-the-blank answer forms through the court website or they may be obtained in-person from the court clerk. Specific time limits are usually in place, such as 35 days, for you to file your answer and mail a copy to the lender's attorney. Failure to adhere to the time constraints could result in default. Default means that everything your lender stated in the complaint will be taken as fact by the court, and the company will be awarded everything it requested.

Get a free, confidential bankruptcy evaluation. Learn More

Answer Form

Your answer form needs to provide a response to every line contained in the complaint. Responses generally need to indicate whether you agree with the particular statement, deny it, or do not know whether it is true or false. You will also have space in the answer to note any defenses or counterclaims you may have to the foreclosure. An example of a defense might be that you never had a valid loan contract with the lender. An example of a counterclaim would be if you believe your lender failed to comply with state or federal laws regarding permissible debt collection practices.

Next Steps

Once your answer is filed -- or if you fail to respond in time -- the foreclosure will move forward. In some states, you have the right to request mediation. During this process, a mediator will try to facilitate a resolution between you and the lender that will allow you to keep living in your home. If mediation does not produce an agreement, the case will then proceed through normal litigation and go to trial. Because court rules and procedure can be very complex, you may choose to retain the services of an attorney to help protect your rights if the foreclosure is not resolved in the initial stages.

Get a free, confidential bankruptcy evaluation. Learn More
How to Respond to a Divorce Complaint


Related articles

How to Answer a Summons for Modification of Alimony

If your ex-spouse has filed a motion with the court to modify alimony and you disagree, you must file an answer to the summons you received. If you do not respond, the court will issue a default judgment in your ex-spouse's favor and she will get what she wants. How to answer a summons will depend on where you live and what the summons says.

How to File a Written Answer to a Divorce Petition

You must file a written answer to a divorce petition as soon as possible to avoid missing the court deadline for the response. If you fail to file the answer in time, the court might grant the other party all the items he requested in the divorce petition, leaving you with no way to contest the divorce or challenge the provisions. The answer is your formal response to all the allegations the other spouse made in the petition.

Can Divorce Proceedings in Arizona Be Stop by the Petitioner?

If you've already filed for divorce in Arizona, but the divorce has not yet been finalized, you can stop the proceedings. However, the requirements for stopping the divorce differ, depending on how far along you are in the process.

Related articles

In Divorce, What Does It Mean to Have an Answer Filed?

You just received a complaint, or petition, for divorce from your spouse. Now you need to file an answer to the ...

How to Revoke a Contingency Fee Contract & a Power of Attorney

Generally, a grantor may revoke a contingency fee contract and a standard power of attorney at anytime. These types of ...

What Does a Chapter 7 Statement of Intention Mean?

Unlike Chapter 13 bankruptcy where you repay most of your debts to your creditors, most debts are forgiven under a ...

How to Amend a Patent

When inventors talk about amending a patent, they usually mean amending a patent application. Amendments of patent ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED