How to Appoint an Executor of an Estate Without a Will

By John Cromwell

An estate that does not have a will is considered intestate. One of the probate court’s duties with regard to intestate estates is to appoint an administrator. Like an executor, the administrator manages the day-to-day business of settling the estate. This includes paying off the decedent’s debts with the estate’s assets and distributing what property remains to the decedent’s heirs. Probate is subject to state law, so the process of appointing an administrator will vary, depending on where the decedent lived.

Step 1

Initiate probate proceedings by filing the appropriate documents with the clerk of the court of the county where the decedent lived. The documents you generally need to file are the decedent’s original death certificate, an estimate of the gross value of the estate, and the names and addresses of the decedent’s heirs. You may also be required to pay a fee and complete a written application for probate proceedings.

Step 2

Convince all other possible candidates to forfeit their rights to be appointed as the estate administrator. The other possible candidates are the decedent's heirs. The heirs are the decedent's closest living family members. A probate court will generally select an administrator from the candidates based on the following order of preference: decedent’s spouse or partner of a civil union; spouse’s child; grandchild; parent; brother or sister; niece or nephew. If no family member wants to be the administrator, a creditor or other interested party may apply. Have every potential member who does not want to be administrator sign a letter which states their desire to be not chosen.

Protect your loved ones. Start My Estate Plan

Step 3

Attend the probate hearing and state your desire to become the administrator to the overseeing probate court. Present the letters from the other administrator candidates stating their desire to not serve at this time. Answer any question the judge asks you. Generally, if every candidate that has priority over you to be an administrator forfeits that privilege, the court will appoint you administrator. Please note that you may be required to say or sign an oath.

Step 4

Apply for a probate bond. Once you are appointed as an administrator, most courts will require that you obtain a probate bond. A probate bond, or fiduciary bond, is a type of insurance policy that an administrator gets when he is overseeing a probate estate. The bond is meant to ensure that the administrator performs his responsibilities properly and will compensate any affected parties if the administrator fails in his duties.

Protect your loved ones. Start My Estate Plan
How to Ask the Executor for a Copy of the Will



Related articles

How Do I Get Legal Guardianship in Missouri?

A legal guardian undertakes responsibility for the welfare of someone, known as a ward, who is unable to undertake these responsibilities on his own behalf. A ward may be either a minor whose parents cannot or will not care for him, or an adult suffering from an incapacity that prevents him from meeting his own needs. A guardian can be appointed only by court order. Missouri's guardianship laws are found in Chapter 475 of the Missouri Revised Statutes.

What Is an Appointed Executor of a Will?

A person names an executor, also called a personal representative, in her will. When the person dies, her will must be probated. Probate judges generally honor decedents' wishes by formally appointing executors identified in wills. If a person dies without a will, the court chooses someone to administer the decedent's estate. Relatives are usually considered first. However, if none are available, any party the court deems fit may serve.

What Does an Affidavit of Heirship Mean?

A surprising number of people don't have wills. When a person dies without a will -- which is called intestate -- no one knows how he wanted his property distributed. Absent a will, state intestacy laws spell out who receives the decedent's property. The property goes to the decedent's family members by order of relationship. An affidavit of heirship, sometimes known as an affidavit of descent, identifies these family members.

LegalZoom. Legal help is here. Start Here. Wills. Trusts. Attorney help.

Related articles

Probate Law & Illinois Statute of Limitations

The purpose of any probate code, including that of Illinois, is to ensure a decedent’s property is properly ...

California Law on Failure to Notify Heirs

To heir is human: These are the individuals who inherit an estate if the deceased did not leave a will. Most people ...

How to be Assigned as an Estate Administrator

A testator generally names an executor, or personal representative, in his will. However, the probate court overseeing ...

Tennessee Laws for a Deceased Parent's Executor

In Tennessee, the executor of a deceased parent's estate is obligated to manage and settle the estate's affairs. ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED