How to Change the Name of an LLC in California

By Brette Sember, J.D.

How to Change the Name of an LLC in California

By Brette Sember, J.D.

When you form a limited liability company (LLC) in California, you notify the state of its name by filing Articles of Organization. If you later decide to change the LLC's name, you can do so by filing an Amendment to the Articles of Organization.

Blonde man holding disposable coffee cup in one hand and typing on laptop with other hand

How to Complete the Amendment

You can either hire an online service provider to help with the amendment, or you can follow these steps:

  1. Download Amendment to the Articles of Organization (Form LLC-2) from the California Secretary of State's website.
  2. Use blue or black ink or fill out the form online.
  3. In field 1, LLC Exact Name, fill in the name of the LLC as it appears in the Secretary of State's records. Check your registration document to be sure you have it correct.
  4. In the next field, fill in the entity number that was assigned to your LLC when you registered it. Check your registration document for this number.
  5. In field 3, New LLC Name (If Amending), enter the new name of the LLC exactly as you want it to appear, including any endings (such as LLC or Limited Liability Company). Keep in mind that the California Code has requirements about what endings are required and which you cannot use.
  6. If you are changing the management structure of the LLC, check the box in number 4 that indicates if it will be managed by one or more managers.
  7. Do not alter the purpose statement on the form in field 5.
  8. If you have other amendments to the Articles of Organization, in addition to the name, type them on letter-sized paper with the heading "Attachment to Form LLC-2" and attach the additional documents to the form. Note the text you are amending ("Existing text") and the new text you are changing it to ("Amended text").
  9. Print the name of the signer(s). Have at least one manager sign the form if the LLC is manager-managed (unless a greater number are required by the Articles of Organization) or at least one member. You cannot use a computer-generated signature.

Submitting the Form

Once you have completed the Amendment to Articles of Organization, you can take these steps to file it:

  1. If you completed the form online, print it.
  2. Compete the Mail Submission Cover Sheet, which is downloadable with the Amendment form. Fill in the information for the person to contact if there are questions, as well as the name and entity number of the LLC. Fill in any comments, such as if you are requesting a certified copy of the amendment. For the return address, enter the name and address of a designated person or company. Print the cover sheet, if you completed it online.
  3. Make a copy of the amendment form for your records.
  4. To file online, visit the Secretary of State's site and follow the prompts to upload your files. To file by mail, send all of the documents, along with the required filing fee, to: Secretary of State Business Entities Filings, P.O. Box 944228, Sacramento, CA 94244-2280. You may also drop it off in person during business hours at the Sacramento office at: 1500 11th Street, Sacramento, CA 95814. If you choose to drop it off in person, you will have to pay an additional fee at the time of drop-off, as doing so gives you priority over documents that are mailed in.
  5. If you need guaranteed expedited service, check the Secretary of State's site for instructions.

Once the document is filed, the state will send you one copy for free. If you need that copy to be certified, you must include an additional fee and indicate you want it certified in the comments section of the Mail Submission Cover Sheet.

This portion of the site is for informational purposes only. The content is not legal advice. The statements and opinions are the expression of author, not LegalZoom, and have not been evaluated by LegalZoom for accuracy, completeness, or changes in the law.