How to Get a Copy of My SS-4 for My Corporation

By Ari Mushell, J.D.

How to Get a Copy of My SS-4 for My Corporation

By Ari Mushell, J.D.

The IRS mandates that most companies have an employer identification number (EIN) for federal taxes and other purposes. To obtain an EIN, a business must submit an Application for Employer Identification Number (Form SS-4) to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). If the company loses its Form SS-4, the IRS will not provide a copy of the Form SS-4.

Man in suit writing in notebook at desk with laptop open in front of him

In the event that you lose your Form SS-4, you can determine or confirm your EIN in other ways. The following methods allow you to obtain your EIN so you can make sure there are no mismatches between your actual EIN and what you submit to the IRS.

1. Contact the IRS.

One method of determining your EIN is to contact the IRS, which, once authorized, will provide your EIN over the phone. You need to provide identifying information, including your name, address, and phone number. The IRS needs to confirm that you are an "authorized person" to receive an affirmative response. An authorized person includes:

  • A sole proprietor
  • A partner in a partnership
  • A corporate officer
  • A trustee of a trust
  • An executor of an estate

2. Check correspondence with the IRS.

Review your email correspondence with the IRS. When you initially applied for an EIN, the IRS sent you a computer-generated notice via email that contains the EIN.

3. Contact the bank that is holding your account.

Whenever you create a business bank account, you are required to present your EIN to the bank. As such, if you have a bank account, then the bank should have your EIN. Contact that bank and ask them for the EIN. Note that different banks may have certain policies and authorization guidelines with respect to providing such information.

4. Review tax returns.

Look over tax returns from previous years. The tax returns should contain the EIN, which should be found below where you entered the business name, its address, and other contact information. Do not be concerned that the EIN changed because it is essentially a Social Security number for a business and does not change.

You can also look at old W-2 statements because those statements should contain the EIN. You can look at W-2 statements along with your previously filed U.S. Individual Income Tax Return (Form 1040).

5. Contact your insurance company.

Often, businesses applying for business insurance must submit their EIN to the insurance company so they can process the application. An EIN may also be required to process an insurance claim. Therefore, contacting the insurance company covering the business may be an avenue to procure an EIN.

As mentioned, the EIN from several years ago remains the EIN. Even if the business submitted an application several years ago and simply renews the insurance yearly, the EIN remains the same.

While it is best to retain a Form SS-4 for future reference, you can still obtain your EIN if you lose that form. Avenues to obtain the EIN absent the Form SS-4 are contacting the IRS and providing identifying information, checking previous correspondence with the IRS, contacting your bank, reviewing your tax returns, and reaching out to your business insurance company.

This portion of the site is for informational purposes only. The content is not legal advice. The statements and opinions are the expression of author, not LegalZoom, and have not been evaluated by LegalZoom for accuracy, completeness, or changes in the law.