How to Assign Depreciated Value in a Divorce

By Rob Jennings J.D.

When your and your spouse separate, you're splitting up not only your personal union, but also your economic one. You may have accumulated significant assets — and significant debts — during your time together. Unfortunately, economic turmoil may have resulted in substantially reduced value in one or more of your major marital assets. Additionally, normal wear and tear may have caused an asset to depreciate even in a strong economy. Regardless of how the depreciation came about, depreciated value and the loss it creates can be assigned in your divorce just like a gain.

Step 1

Outline your marital estate. Review your state's marital property division laws and consult with an attorney to figure out what assets are marital and which ones are separate. The law can vary widely from state to state, so what held true in a friend or family member's divorce won't necessarily hold true in yours. Once you've become familiar with the definition of marital property in your state, make a list of what you and your spouse have accumulated and who has possession of it now.

Step 2

Figure out a value for all the assets you'll be dividing. Major assets, such as real estate or a business, may require an expensive appraisal by a property appraiser or Certified Public Accountant to arrive at an accurate figure. You may be able to find market values for other assets, such as cars, trucks and boats, by going online. Next to each asset listed on your inventory, put down a value.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More

Step 3

List your marital debts. If a debt is attached to an asset, such as a mortgage on a house, write it down in a separate column next to the asset itself. Subtracting the debt from the asset value will show you the net value of that asset — what it's really worth. In some cases, you may owe more money on a house or vehicle than you can sell it for. In that case, whoever takes the asset and its associated debt will be receiving negative value when you divide the estate.

Step 4

Negotiate with your spouse on who gets which assets and who takes which debts in order to arrive at your desired division of the marital estate. If one of you takes on an upside-down house or car, the other person will have to make up at least some of that difference in the form of cash or other property.

Step 5

Set your property division agreement down in writing with your spouse, with both of you signing in front of a notary public.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
How to Divorce With Separate Bank Accounts & Splitting Property


Related articles

How to Estimate the Market Value of Assets in a Divorce

Judges and attorneys are predominantly concerned with the value of significant assets when a couple breaks up. You might love the recliner you lounge in while watching television every night, and you might be willing to fight to the death to keep it, but that’s usually an emotional battle. Unless it's a priceless antique, it won't figure into the property distribution equation. Courts value assets such as real estate, automobiles, pension and retirement plans, and valuable collectibles to ensure that you and your spouse each walk away with assets of equal worth.

How to Figure Home Equity in a Divorce

Equity in assets is a crucial part of property division in a divorce and the marital home is often a couple's most valuable asset. Most state laws require a home's equity to be determined by appraisal as part of the divorce process. It's important to identify equity because each spouse is entitled to a share of it as part of property division.

How to Divide Money in a Divorce

Disputes over money can often lead to the breakup of a marriage, and when they occur, these disputes commonly persist throughout the divorce process. If you and your spouse can't come to agreement on your own, the court is tasked with figuring out where the money originated and how it should be divided after the divorce.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

How to Price the Worth of Household Goods for a Divorce

It doesn’t usually make a lot of sense to invest time, effort and attorney’s fees into quantifying your household goods ...

Tangible Property in Divorce

Tangible property is anything you can touch, including vehicles, houses and family photos. In a divorce, all tangible ...

What Assets Are Protected From Divorce Settlements?

Divorce courts in all states recognize that some property is solely yours, immune from distribution in a divorce. If ...

Does My Wife Get Half of My Lotto Winnings if I Divorce Her?

If you play the lottery and your marriage is in trouble, you might do well to wait until you're divorced before buying ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED