How to Become a Guardian of an Incompetent Spouse

By Tom Streissguth

If your spouse becomes mentally or physically disabled or otherwise incapacitated, and unable to handle his affairs, you may apply to become his legal guardian. As a spouse, you normally have the right to make financial decisions on his behalf for any property held jointly. However, in order to make decisions for him regarding living arrangements or medical care, the laws of your state may require legal guardianship, which can only be ordered by a judge.

Step 1

Gather supporting evidence, including records that support the claim that your spouse is incompetent to make decisions on his own, handle finances, or direct his own medical care. This can also include statements or affidavits from physicians, caregivers, relatives, friends, acquaintances, colleagues -- anyone who has contact with your incapacitated spouse. Contact any witnesses who can support your claim of guardianship and request their live testimony at the trial or hearing that will take place.

Step 2

File a petition for guardianship in the court having jurisdiction over your household. In most cases this will be a state, circuit or county court. Submit your gathered evidence and include in the petition your grounds for requesting legal guardianship. If state law requires it, add a certificate of service that serves as your sworn statement that the petition has been furnished to your spouse and any interested parties, including relatives you list on the petition. Sign and date the petition as well as the certificate of service.

Protect your loved ones. Start My Estate Plan

Step 3

Schedule a court trial with the clerk if the guardianship petition is contested, either by your spouse or by another concerned party, such as a parent or other close relative of your spouse. Schedule a simpler and shorter court hearing if the petition is uncontested. Bring your evidence and witnesses to the hearing and respond to any questions asked by the presiding judge or magistrate. The judge will either grant your petition and appoint you as legal guardian or deny it, either "without prejudice," meaning you can amend or correct it; or "with prejudice," meaning the case is closed and you will have to open another one by filing a new petition.

Protect your loved ones. Start My Estate Plan
How Do I Get Legal Guardianship in Missouri?


Related articles

My Father Is Incompetent & I Need to Become the Power of Attorney

A power of attorney for finances would allow you to manage your father’s money and other financial affairs when he is unable to do it himself. However, a power of attorney can only be signed when a person is competent. Thus, you may need to pursue another option, such as a court-appointed conservatorship, if your father is no longer competent to sign a power of attorney.

What to Do if Your Spouse Will Not Sign Divorce Papers

In the case of a legal divorce, one party may not cooperate with the action, sign any agreements or negotiate any terms. The laws of each state govern the process of divorce, and all set down guidelines for actions in the case of a non-cooperative respondent.

How to Become the Executor of a Deceased Relative's Estate in Pennsylvania?

In Pennsylvania, an executor is the person named in a will to administer the deceased's estate. The only way to become an executor of your relative's estate is to be the person named in the will. However, the person named as executor in the will must ask a probate court to name her as the personal representative of the deceased for the purpose of administering the estate.

LegalZoom. Legal help is here. Start Here. Wills. Trusts. Attorney help.

Related articles

How to Contest a Will or Power of Attorney in the State of Minnesota

If you believe a Minnesota will or power of attorney should be declared legally invalid, you must have legal standing ...

Legal Forms for Temporary Guardianship

A guardianship is a legal relationship between an adult and a ward -- a child or a disabled adult -- that requires the ...

How to File Contempt of Court on Unpaid Child Support in Georgia

Although child support is the legal obligation of a non-custodial parent, it often goes unpaid. As the back child ...

How to Challenge Power of Attorney

A power of attorney is a powerful legal tool because it allows an attorney-in-fact to perform binding legal acts, such ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED