How Can I Get Alimony Modified in Florida?

By Jennifer Williams

Alimony is monetary support one spouse pays to the other after a divorce. In Florida, temporary, or rehabilitative, alimony is paid to provide a spouse with the opportunity to rehabilitate career or work skills. Permanent alimony is paid indefinitely, usually in long marriages where the receiving spouse did not develop work skills during the marriage. Florida courts modify alimony when there has been a substantial change in circumstances.

Grounds for Modification

Alimony orders will be changed by the Florida courts when a substantial change in the circumstances of one or both spouses can be shown. Substantial changes include job loss, retirement, death, illness and remarriage of one or both of the spouses. Cohabitation of the receiving spouse is a recently added substantial change considered by Florida courts; if the spouse receiving alimony begins a live-in relationship with someone who contributes to her financial support, Florida courts will consider the additional income as grounds for a possible reduction in the amount of alimony the spouse is entitled to.

Supplemental Petition for Modification of Alimony

The process of modifying alimony begins by filing a Supplemental Petition for Modification of Alimony with the Circuit Family Law Court in the same county where the original divorce was filed. All Florida circuit court clerks, Florida Supreme Court website and online legal document providers make the Supplemental Petition for Modification form available with instructions.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More

Contents of the Supplemental Petition

The Supplemental Petition must include the names and addresses of both spouses, date of the original divorce, original amount of alimony with payment schedule, an explanation of the substantial change of circumstances prompting the request for alimony modification and the desired change. The Supplemental Petition must be signed before a notary or deputy court clerk with a copy of the original divorce decree attached. Expect to pay a fee for reopening the divorce case and filing the Supplemental Petition.

Additional Forms

Additional forms must be filed with the Supplemental Petition. These forms include a settlement agreement, if the spouses have reached agreement about modification; Family Law Financial Affidavits that detail each spouse's financial situation; and a Certificate of Compliance with Mandatory Compliance, which certifies that each spouse has truthfully disclosed all required financial information to the court. These forms are mandatory, and each has instructions attached.

Service and Trial

Once filed, the Supplemental Petition and additional documents must be served on the other spouse. For a small fee, a professional process server will personally deliver the documents and provide evidence that the papers were served. The other spouse has 20 days in which to file an Answer, or Answer and Counterpetition. If either of these documents disagree with anything in the Supplemental Petition, the petitioning spouse must contact the court for a hearing or trial date. In some Florida circuits, such as the Fourth Circuit, both spouses may be required to participate in mediation before proceeding to trial. If no agreement is reached by mediation, the modification issue then goes to trial. At trial, the petitioning spouse must prove that he is entitled to the modification requested in the Supplemental Petition.

Settlement Agreement

When both spouses agree to modify alimony, a written settlement agreement must contain the names and addresses of both spouses, date of the original divorce, original alimony amount and payment schedule, explanation of the substantial change of circumstances prompting the request for alimony modification and an explanation of the desired change. It must also include a statement that both spouses agree to the requested change. Both spouses must sign the agreement before a notary or deputy court clerk. Sometimes spouses agree to some, but not all, requested changes. Any changes not agreed on are either referred to mediation or decided by the judge.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
How to Determine Alimony in SC


Related articles

How to Figure Alimony Payments in Iowa

After divorce, one spouse is sometimes left without financial resources to support herself, but alimony -- sometimes called spousal support -- can help. An Iowa court can award alimony to either spouse based on certain statutory factors. However, unlike child support, it is not awarded according to a formula or percentage of the other spouse’s income.

How to Amend My Alimony Judgment in Louisiana

Louisiana recognizes both temporary and permanent alimony, called spousal support in Louisiana. However, permanent support is only awarded to an innocent spouse -- one who is not at fault in the divorce. Once awarded in the final decree, support may be modified if there has been a substantial change in the circumstances of one or both spouses. An innocent spouse may also ask the court to amend the final decree to add support where there originally was none, as long as she asks within three years after the final decree is issued.

How to Modify Your Divorce in Oklahoma

When a couple obtains a final divorce decree in Oklahoma, the order includes certain provisions that govern issues like child support, alimony, custody, visitation and property distribution. With the exception of property distribution, these provisions may be modified due to a change in circumstances, such as financial hardship. Parties requesting modification of a divorce decree must file their motion with the court that established the original order, detailing the nature of the request and reasons justifying modification.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

Petition for Alimony Modification

After divorce, life progresses as jobs and promotions are gained and lost, and health declines. Many changes affect ...

Documents for Divorce & Alimony

Divorces necessarily involve the exchange of information. The bulk of this exchange is generally handled outside the ...

Will He Still Have to Pay Alimony With a No Fault Divorce in Pennsylvania?

When spouses file for divorce in Pennsylvania, a financially weaker spouse may be entitled to alimony. Pennsylvania ...

Motion to Change Support Order

If you are paying child support or spousal support, also known as alimony, but are going through a change in ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED