Can Alimony Be Paid Directly to the Ex-Spouse & Child Support Through Child Support Enforcement?

By Heather Frances J.D.

When couples divorce, the court may issue a divorce decree ordering a spouse to pay child support and alimony to the other spouse. Typically, the divorce decree describes the manner in which payments must be made. Courts may direct that alimony be paid directly to the recipient spouse while child support is paid to the recipient spouse through the state’s child support agency. However, if these arrangements do not work well for the parties, the court may permit alternate arrangements.

Child Support Agencies

The Child Support Enforcement Program is a partnership between federal, state and local governments in the collection of child support and its administration varies between states. The program’s goal is to help custodial parents locate non-custodial parents, establish paternity, establish and enforce child support orders, modify orders when appropriate and collect and distribute child support payments.

Paying Child Support

Courts may order parents to pay child support through the state child support agency rather than paying it directly to the custodial parent. Typically, child support orders that are part of divorce decrees come with income withholding orders. An income withholding order directs the non-custodial parent’s employer to withhold child support from the non-custodial parent’s paycheck and send it to the state child support agency. The state child support agency then distributes it to the custodial parent. Even if the non-custodial parent is self-employed, loses his job or is between jobs, his payment obligations continue; therefore, in such cases, he may be required to make payments directly to the state child support agency for distribution to the custodial parent.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More

Direct Payments

Courts may order alimony payments as part of a divorce decree and will typically order the paying spouse to make payments directly to the receiving spouse. In some cases, the court might allow the paying spouse to pay both alimony and child support to the other spouse directly if both spouses agree, but state laws vary on the permissibility of direct payments.

Garnishment for Alimony

If a paying spouse falls behind on his alimony payments, the receiving spouse can file a motion asking the court to find the paying spouse in contempt of court and request a wage garnishment for the past-due alimony payments. Wage garnishment orders the paying spouse’s employer to withhold money from the spouse’s wages and forward the payment directly to the receiving spouse until the past-due amount is brought current.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
What Happens If I Can't Make My Child Support or Alimony Payments in Maryland?


Related articles

How to Get Child Support When the Father Does Not Get Paid From a Conventional Job

Since January 1994, the United States government has mandated that all child support orders include provisions for payment through income withholding or wage garnishment. It’s a highly effective means of collection, but when the non-custodial parent is self-employed or chronically unemployed, wage garnishment can prove impossible. If you suspect your child’s other parent isn’t going to be honorable about voluntarily sending you child support checks, you can address this at the time the court issues your child support order.

Military Divorce and Alimony

Military couples cannot get divorced by military courts, so they must get their divorces in state courts. Since divorce laws vary between states, alimony may be awarded in one case but not in a similar case in another state. Alimony amounts may also vary according to each state’s laws, though federal law caps the amount a state court can take from a military member’s wages.

Alabama Collection & Distribution of Child Support

When two parents have children together but don't share a household, one parent often needs to provide financial support to the other parent. The state of Alabama assists many parents who pay or collect child support. Although some parents may choose to pay support voluntarily, a state court or child support agency cannot enforce an arrangement without a court order.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

How Child Support Works

Child support is designed to ensure that children do not suffer financially when their parents split. When parents ...

Wyoming Child Support Laws

When spouses divorce in Wyoming, they remain responsible for providing financial support for their children. To clarify ...

Can Social Security Disability Be Attached In a Divorce?

Federal law protects Social Security disability benefits from creditors by providing that such benefits are not subject ...

Does Child Support Have to Be Paid Through Court?

It’s one thing to have a child support order in place, but it can be quite another thing to actually collect the ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED