Can You Appeal a Judge's Decision in Family Court?

By Wayne Thomas

Family court decisions resolve many important issues related to divorce, including child custody, property and support. To ensure that judges act appropriately and apply the law correctly, every state provides a mechanism for appealing certain orders by parties to a family court case. Understanding the types of orders and errors that you can appeal will help you determine how to best proceed if you believe a judge made a mistake in your case.

Overview of Appeal Process

An appeal is a request made to a higher court to review a decision made by a lower court. It is not a rehearing of the case you presented; you may not submit any new evidence. Instead, the role of the court of appeals is limited to reviewing the trial record and determining whether your judge acted within his discretion. If it is found that the judge did not act improperly, the decision is upheld even if the appellate judges would have ruled differently had they presided over your trial.

Final Orders

In most states, you only have the right to appeal final orders. In a divorce, this is typically the final divorce decree, which can address property distribution, custody and support. By contrast, temporary orders issued while the divorce is pending are not considered final, and you generally require permission from the appellate court if you want them reviewed. You might demonstrate this need for review by showing that the safety of your children is threatened, or that a time-sensitive property matter requires immediate attention.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More

Appealable Issues

Whether you have grounds to appeal depends on the type of mistake that you believe the judge made in your case. Grounds for appeal are limited to errors in law and in fact. An example of an error in law would be if state law requires a parent convicted of domestic violence to complete counseling before the award of any custody rights, but a judge nonetheless grants that parent custody without proof of counseling and in direct violation of the law. By contrast, a mistake in fact exists if a judge reaches a conclusion that no other reasonable person could have reached based on the evidence. An example might be awarding sole custody to a parent convicted of multiple counts of sexual assault on the child, in the face of strong evidence demonstrating the fitness of the other parent.


You may start the appeal process by filing a Notice of Appeal with the family court before a specified deadline under state law. This is often 30 to 60 days from the date you receive the original order. In the notice, you need to provide basic information about the case and have a copy delivered to your spouse. After you file the appeal, the court typically requests that you obtain and file transcripts of any hearings the family court held; you may also have to file a written brief explaining the basis for your appeal, followed by an oral argument. The court will then issue a ruling, either affirming or reversing the lower court, or remanding the matter for retrial. The appeal process can take up to a year to complete. However, an expedited process may be available if you can demonstrate that harm will result in delays. This is up to the discretion of the appellate court, and might be appropriate in cases where a child's safety is in question.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
How to Appeal a Child Custody Decision in Dallas, Texas


Related articles

Florida 1.540 and Denial of Due Process in a Divorce

A divorce is a civil action. As in all civil actions, the parties involved have a Constitutional right to due process of law – the requirement that government take the actions necessary to ensure individual legal rights are protected. One of the ways Florida protects due process is by application of Florida Rules of Civil Procedure 1.540, which allows an aggrieved party to petition for the reversal of a judgment, decree or order, including a divorce decree, based on mistake or fraud.

Can a Person Ask for a Continuance Without a Lawyer During a Divorce Hearing in Virginia Law?

Rescheduling a divorce hearing can provide you with more time to prepare your case. In Virginia, a request to reschedule is referred to as a motion for continuance, which may be done in person at the scheduled hearing, regardless of whether or not you are represented by an attorney.

Timeframe for Contesting a Will in Virginia

If you would like to contest a Virginia will, you must file your objections with the clerk of court where the will has been admitted to probate. State law sets out a statute of limitations for this procedure, which in some cases can be waived or extended. To comply with the law and carry out the process according to the rules of the court, it is in your best interest to hire an experienced estate or probate attorney.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

How to Overturn a Dissolution of Marriage Final Judgment in Florida

A final judgment in a divorce case is the end result, whether you and your former spouse reached an amicable settlement ...

Can You File for Divorce in Virginia if Your Spouse Refuses?

While divorce is typically an emotionally difficult process, the complexity and frustration of a divorce case is ...

How to Appeal a Denied Annulment

If you are seeking an annulment from your spouse, the last thing you want to receive is a denial from the family court. ...

Baker Act & Divorce

If you observe someone acting in a way that makes you think she might be dangerous to others, Florida's Baker Act ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED