Can You Go Back to Court for Custody After You Gave Your Child to Your Spouse?

By Beverly Bird

Parents always maintain the right to go back to court to change custody arrangements after their divorce is final. The real question is whether the court will grant a request for modification of your order. Courts don’t want to force children to live in a bad situation when their custodial parent’s circumstances change, but neither do they want to move children back and forth between parents without good cause. Changes that warrant a modification of custody must usually be material, substantial and occur in the home in which the child is living.

Material Changes

A “material” change is one that directly affects the welfare of your child. If your ex has custody, and if he begins a relationship with a new significant other who has a history of drug abuse or alcoholism, a court might not consider this a material change unless your child is exposed to this individual when she’s been using drugs or drinking. If she’s always on her best behavior when your children are around, her history of substance abuse does not have a direct, material effect on them.

Substantial Changes

If you gave up custody because you were experiencing some problem in your life at the time of your divorce, and you’ve fixed those problems and want your child back, this probably is not enough to convince a court to restore custody to you. You’ve changed. Your child’s environment has not. Therefore, there’s no legal reason to uproot her. Substantial and significant changes usually mean something has dramatically deteriorated in your child’s home. Your ex’s new girlfriend may have moved in, and she’s abusing your child. Your ex may have developed a drug or alcohol problem, and he’s neglecting your child. Maybe your ex has moved to inadequate housing. He may have taken a new job where he works all night. Your child is in school all day, so this drastically reduces her daily contact with any parent if she’s not living with you. A substantial change must be harmful or dangerous for your child.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More


In most states, you must file a post-judgment motion with the court if a substantial, material change has occurred in your ex’s home and you want to ask the court to change custody to you. The change must have occurred since the court issued your existing order. You can’t go back and rehash issues that existed before your divorce. Most courts require that your motion include a written affidavit or certification detailing the factors that have changed.


Modifying custody is not something a court takes lightly, so after reading your motion request, a judge usually schedules a trial if he thinks your case has merit. If your child’s other parent opposes the change in custody, you’re most likely facing a contentious court battle. However, some factors may tip the scales in your favor. In most states, teenagers can state their preference regarding the parent with whom they want to live. This doesn’t necessarily mean a judge will abide by your child’s wishes if she wants to live with you, but he’s obligated to take her wishes into consideration. If your ex has deliberately denied you time with your child and has attempted to curtail your relationship with her, this usually influences a court as well. Judges generally want proof of allegations you make against your ex to warrant a custody change. Substantiate your case for abuse or neglect by including copies of police reports, medical records and school records. In most states, you can also use the testimony of witnesses.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
How to Get Full Custody of Children After a Divorce


Related articles

Dating During the Temporary Custody Phase of a Divorce in Oklahoma

Oklahoma's divorce statutes don't include a specific prohibition about dating. They don't say that if you go out for dinner with someone, your chances for gaining custody are nil -- but they don't say it's OK, either. Typically, the issue depends on the opinion of the judge who hears your case and how he feels about dating before a divorce is final -- particularly if you have children. Some common-sense considerations apply, however.

Child Custody Laws in the State of Tennessee for a 12-Year-Old

Establishing a custody arrangement is a required step for all divorces involving minor children. Under Tennessee law, a court must determine custody according to the best interests of the child. Understanding how the child's age can influence custody decisions and his best interests can help remove some of the confusion for both you and your 12-year-old.

What Kind of Questions Does the Court Ask in Custody Battles?

Custody is one of the murkiest areas of law. It offers few absolute guidelines a judge must follow. All states base custody on the best interests of the children, but most have not set definitive criteria as to what those best interests might be. Often, it’s left up to a judge to interpret the nuances of each family situation.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

How Can I Get Custody if My Ex-Wife Has Been Married Four Times?

Courts recognize a parent’s right to move on after divorce, so remarriage in itself is not usually a cause for custody ...

Remarriage & Custody

Remarriage is usually not a reason for a change in custody unless other factors are involved. Parents naturally move on ...

My Ex-Wife Is Trying to Gain Custody of Our Children after Our Divorce Decree

Divorce decrees are not necessarily forever, especially regarding custody. Even when parents enter into a custody ...

Can a Dad Get Joint Custody When He Has DUI Charges?

A court's custody decision always comes down to what's in the best interests of the children, so if a parent has a ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED