Can You Change Your Name if You Have a Criminal Record?

By Tom Streissguth

State laws govern legal name changes. You must file a petition to change your name in a civil court that has jurisdiction over your place of residence. Most states require a minimum period of residency; for example, one year is required in West Virginia. Often, you will have to certify that you have not been convicted of a felony. But even if you have a criminal record, you still may be able to change your name, but the process is more complex and will take longer.

Petition and Publication

Procedures for a legal change of name usually involve filing a petition and, in most states, publishing a notice in a local newspaper of your intention. You must certify to the court that you have no criminal record or no record of a felony conviction. If you do, you can still petition for the name change, but the clerk will run a thorough background check, which involves additional time and expense. In some states, like Minnesota, you must serve a copy of the petition on the state, federal or local authority that convicted you.

Court Hearing

Once the background check is complete, the clerk will schedule a hearing on your name change petition. Public and private parties have the right to object to your change of name, whether you have a record or not. Anyone who objects can file a written objection or appear at the hearing to offer information and argue against it. If an objection is filed, you must provide a response. The judge will take any objections into consideration, ask the reason for the name change and review your criminal record. You must certify to the judge that the name change is not for the purpose of evading prosecution or to carry out any fraud or other criminal activity.

Get help changing your legal name. Learn More


The judge has the discretion to grant or deny the name change petition. State law will not bar you from changing your name solely because of a criminal record, but the court can deny your petition on several grounds. The judge must weigh the evidence and testimony, and conclude that your name change is not for the purpose of evading arrest, escaping debts or child support, or perpetrating a fraud. A record of identity theft or financial malfeasance often provides sufficient grounds for a denial, which you may appeal.

Successful Petitions

If the court grants your petition, the judge signs the order approving your new name and the clerk enters it into the public record. A name change will not erase your criminal record; the clerk will submit the name change information to local and national law enforcement. If the court denies your petition, you have the right to file an appeal, to which you must bring additional evidence, or corrections of evidence and testimony, for a different judge to consider.

Get help changing your legal name. Learn More
How to Change Your Legal Name in Pennsylvania


Related articles

How to Change Your First Name Legally

The process for legally changing your first name is the same as for legally changing your last name. It differs somewhat from state to state, but in all states you need to ask permission from the court and obtain an order from a judge. This order allows you to change your birth certificate and other documents. In some states, you must also undergo a police check before beginning the name change process, as some people are prohibited from legally changing their name, for example, people on the sex offenders register.

How to Change Your Last Name in the State of Alabama

To apply for a name change in Alabama, you must file a verified petition in your county of residence; the local probate court holds jurisdiction over name changes. Although the procedure is similar throughout the state, counties have varying requirements as to the documents you need to supply.

How to Change the Name on a Birth Certificate of a Four-Month-Old in West Virginia

Not all baby names are flights of gentle inspiration. If you're having second thoughts about the little Filibuster or Drusilla that's sleeping cozily in the baby room, you can contact the Health Statistics Center down at the West Virginia Health and Human Services, Department of Vital Records. The agency requires a court order to amend information on birth certificates.

Doing the right thing has never been easier. Name Change

Related articles

Reasons Not to Grant a Legal Name Change

In the United States, people have the right to go by the names they choose. However, for a name change to be legally ...

Legal Ways to Change a Child's Last Name in Missouri

The state of Missouri allows minors to legally change their names, but the procedure is more complex and time-consuming ...

Laws Regarding Children's Names After a Divorce in Oregon

After a divorce, you may want to change your child's name. In Oregon, the procedure for changing a child's name can be ...

Does a Name Change Affect an Employee Background Check?

Whether you have divorced, married or completed a voluntary name change, a background check will still show any ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED