Can You Claim Taxes on a Home in Puerto Rico That You Inherited?

By Jeff Franco J.D./M.A./M.B.A.

If you inherit a home in Puerto Rico and plan on using it as a personal residence or rental property, you’ll inherit an annual property tax bill as well. But if you file a U.S. tax return, you may be able to claim those taxes as an itemized deduction. However, the more difficult task is determining whether you need to file a U.S. tax return in the first place.

U.S. Taxation of Puerto Rico

The U.S. tax law treats Puerto Ricans as U.S. citizens for purposes of collecting income taxes. Even if Puerto Rico is the only place you’ve ever called home, you may still need to file a U.S. return and pay tax, but you can also take advantage of the deduction for real estate taxes on your home despite the fact you pay them to Puerto Rico. However, special rules apply that may allow you to exclude your earnings from Puerto Rico.

Bona Fide Resident

The IRS uses a concept known as “bona fide resident” rather than citizenship to determine whether you’re eligible to exclude your Puerto Rican income, such as rental income you may earn from the home you inherit, from U.S. income tax. You are considered a bona fide resident if you’re physically present in Puerto Rico for at least 183 days during the tax year and don’t have a tax home outside of Puerto Rico. The term "tax home" refers to the country in which your main place of business or employment is; if you're not employed, it refers to the place where you typically live.

Get a free, confidential bankruptcy evaluation. Learn More

Claiming Foreign Property Taxes

If you determine that you’re not a bona fide resident of Puerto Rico and your annual earnings are equal to or more than the sum of your standard deduction and personal exemption, you must file a U.S. tax return that reports all income, irrespective of the country you earn it in. However, if you choose to itemize your deductions, the tax law allows you to claim a deduction for property taxes on any personal residence you own, including the home you inherit in Puerto Rico. In most cases, it’s only beneficial to itemize if the total of your itemized deductions reported on Schedule A exceeds the amount of your standard deduction. But if you rent the home and report all rental income on the return, your Puerto Rico property taxes are fully deductible on Schedule E, regardless of whether you itemize or claim the standard deduction.

Allocating Tax Deduction

When the IRS treats you as a bona fide resident of Puerto Rico, you may encounter limitations on your property tax deduction. This is because you can exclude all earnings from Puerto Rico. In this case, you need to allocate your property taxes between your excluded Puerto Rican income and your taxable U.S. income tax. For example, if only 20 percent of your income is subject to U.S. income tax and you use the home as a personal residence -- only 20 percent of your property tax payments are deductible on your U.S. return. However, if you rent the home, you can’t claim the deduction, because the property tax payments solely relate to your excluded rental income.

Get a free, confidential bankruptcy evaluation. Learn More
Tax Consequences of Selling an Inherited Home


Related articles

Can a Sole Proprietor Write Off a Home Office?

Running a business as a sole proprietor means that, for tax purposes, you and the business are one and the same. You pay taxes on the business income just as you would as an individual, and the income is reported on the tax return you file every year. The IRS allows the same expense deductions you would normally take as a self-employed individual working at home.

Laws Concerning Inheriting Money From Overseas

If you expect an inheritance from outside the United States, it's a good idea to familiarize yourself with the laws concerning transfer of assets from a foreign country to a U.S. bank or other institution. Estate tax, both federal and state, may be in effect under certain conditions and there are requirements for declaring the transfer of foreign assets to the United States.

What Can You Write Off on Taxes for an LLC?

The Internal Revenue Service treats LLCs differently for tax purposes than other types of entities insofar as members can choose the type of taxation to apply. The LLC is not liable for federal income taxes unless you elect to treat it as a corporation. Otherwise, the members are each responsible for a portion of the tax. However, the same business deductions available to a corporation are available to the individual members on a pro-rata basis.


Related articles

How Do Donations to a 501(c)(3) Work in Taxes?

Contrary to popular belief, tax laws aren’t designed just to raise revenue to fund the government. Tax policies are ...

Deductible Expenses in a Sole Proprietorship

When you earn income through a sole proprietorship, you report it on a tax return a little differently than an employee ...

How to File Taxes and Claim Children Due to Past-Due Child Support

Claiming your children as dependents is never automatic; there are a number of requirements you must satisfy before you ...

Compare the Tax Benefits of Sole Proprietorship Vs. Sub S Corporation

One of the most important decisions you make when starting your business is how you want to structure your business ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED