Can I Contest My Dad's Will?

By A.L. Kennedy

In order to contest a will, you generally have to have "standing," or be what is known in some states as an "interested party," according to FindLaw. An interested party is one who has something to lose or gain from challenging the will. Reasons to challenge a will may include that the deceased person didn't have capacity to make a will, undue influence, fraud and mistakes, according to the American Bar Association. Children of deceased parents who have standing may challenge the parent's will.


In most states, only a person with standing can contest a will, according to FindLaw. Because in most states a child of a deceased person will inherit some part of a person's estate if there is no will, children usually have standing to contest their parents' wills, according to the American Bar Association. Standing, or being an "interested person," only gives a child the ability to contest a will. The child must still state a reason to believe that part or all of the will should be held invalid, according to FindLaw.


Although some children of deceased parents may wish to challenge a will because they feel as though their share of the estate is too small, there are in fact only a few legal grounds on which a will can be challenged. According to the American Bar Association, these include lack of testamentary capacity, or believing the parent was not of sound mind and therefore could not make a will; undue influence, such as when another sibling pressures a parent into leaving someone out; fraud, such as when someone else alters the will to grant himself a bigger share of the estate; and mistakes, as when the will names the wrong person or the wrong item.

Protect your loved ones. Start My Estate Plan


A child who wants to contest a parent's will should do so at the earliest possible opportunity in order to avoid the state's statute of limitations on will contests. The American Bar Association notes that a child who wants to contest a parent's will must file a formal complaint with the probate court that sets out the reasons she believes some part of the will is invalid. The executor of the estate defends the case. In most will contests, the court will follow the parent's wishes as described in the will, unless a compelling case can be made that the will is partly or entirely void.


If a will is contested, the probate court may decide that all of the will or only part of it is void, according to FindLaw. Therefore, a child who contests the will should be clear about which parts of the will he thinks are void and why. Also, many wills contain a "no-contest" clause which states that a child who loses a will contest will also lose his entire share of the estate, according to Merriam-Webster's Dictionary of Law.

Protect your loved ones. Start My Estate Plan
Children and Contesting a Will



Related articles

Ways to Contest a Will in Alabama

Alabama courts seek to ensure that a person's estate is distributed according to his wishes. If the will does not reflect the decedent's wishes for any reason, such as cases where the decedent did not have the mental capacity to write his will, an interested person may challenge the will in either probate court or circuit court.

Can Wills Be Contested?

Wills can be contested, but the process is subject to complex laws that vary from state to state. If you believe you have cause to contest a will, immediately contact an attorney to learn the rules for doing so where you live. The burden is on the person contesting the will to prove that it should be set aside, so will contests are not typically easy to win.

Information on Contested Wills

A contested will is the subject of a lawsuit that argues that part or all of the contested will is invalid. Any probate proceedings stop while the will contest is heard in probate court. If the will contest is successful, the probate court then ignores the part of the will that was contested or the entire will, depending on the contest case, and distributes the estate according to state law as if the will never existed.

LegalZoom. Legal help is here. Start Here. Wills. Trusts. Attorney help. Wills & Trusts

Related articles

Legal Recourse if Left out of a Will as a Daughter

The purpose of a last will and testament is to provide a will maker -- called a "testator" -- a mechanism by which he ...

What Are the Chances of Contesting a Will & Winning?

A will contest or will challenge is a case brought to a probate court in order to test a will's validity. Most will ...

Advice on Contesting Wills

A will contest or a will challenge is a court case brought to dispute the validity of a will, according to FindLaw. In ...

Who Can Contest a Will?

Although estate laws vary somewhat from state to state, they all have some criteria in their legislation that must be ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED