Can Divorce From a Sponsor Affect Citizenship?

By Sydelle John

Marriage is the fastest and most popular way foreigners become American citizens. In fact, according to the Department of Homeland Security, 27 percent of all those who received legal permanent residency between 2006 and 2007 qualified through marriage. Divorce can also affect your path to citizenship.

Citizenship via Marriage

An American citizen can apply for legal resident status for a foreign-born spouse. This allows the spouse to remain in the country without risk of deportation. The American sponsor must submit required forms to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services. Upon a successful interview, USCIS will grant the foreign spouse legal residency and issue a green card, which allows the foreigner to enter and exit the country without a US visa. Residency status can be changed to American citizenship after the foreigner has lived in the United States for a period of at least 36 months.

Divorce for a Conditional Green Card Holder

A conditional green card is given to foreign-born spouses who become legal residents within the first two years of their marriage. It requires the couple prove to USCIS they are still married in order for the foreign-born spouse to receive unconditional residency in the country. This conditional status was created to combat marital fraud, whereby foreigners marry Americans solely to become US citizens as it faster than normal means. A divorce can slow the path to citizenship if the foreign spouse fails to prove to immigration officials that the marriage was entered into in good faith. If that is the case, she will be deported. Successfully convincing officials the marital union was legitimate will allow the foreign spouse to remain in the country for a period of time determined by USCIS.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More

Divorce for an Unconditional Green Card Holder

An unconditional green card is valid for a maximum of 10 years, after which the foreign-born spouse must apply for citizenship or renew her green card. The foreign-born spouse can, however, apply for citizenship once she has satisfied the 36-month requirement. If divorce occurs after the foreigner received an unconditional green card, but before the 36-month requirement, she can remain in the United States without fear of deportation. She must, however, wait a minimum of 60 months, instead of the average 36 months, to apply for citizenship.

Convincing USCIS

In the event of a divorce, USCIS officials will question the validity of the marital union when considering whether to extend a foreign spouse's residency in the country. To convince them it was a good-faith marriage, the foreigner must show proof of joint ownership of property, birth of children with the former spouse, or affidavits from non-family members who attended the wedding. USCIS will also consider additional factors, including whether the foreign-born spouse was battered during the marriage or whether she will face hardship due to the loss of her residency status. If USCIS is convinced of a good-faith marriage by the evidence provided, it will extend the period of her green card making it possible for her to legally remain in the United States until it is time to apply for citizenship.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
Can a Wife Be Deported if She Filed for Divorce?



Related articles

Can You Divorce & Remarry Without a Green Card?

Green card holders have permanent resident status in the U.S. and can remain in the country indefinitely without a visa. Although green card holders have the right to marry and divorce at will, this right is not restricted to citizens and those with permanent resident status. Any immigrant can legally marry, divorce and remarry in the U.S., provided he meets certain requirements.

Can You File for Citizenship if You Get Divorced?

An individual with permanent residency holds a green card and has many of the same rights and responsibilities as U.S. citizens – including the right to live and work in the U.S. A permanent resident can become a U.S. citizen through the process of naturalization. Permanent residency is one of many requirements immigrants must meet when applying for citizenship. In certain situations, getting divorced may strip an immigrant of her green card or her ability to apply for one. This, in turn, makes filing a naturalization application impossible.

Can You Marry an Illegal Immigrant Before Divorce?

For most divorcing couples, terminating a marriage isn't as simple as merely signing legal paperwork and permanently parting ways. Depending on the assets you and your spouse accrued during your marriage and other factors, such as whether or not you can agree on child custody arrangements, your divorce could take months to settle. For those who wish to remarry, this waiting period can be particularly stressful, but you must end one marriage before you can marry someone else. Because an individual's immigration status does not dictate whether or not she can enter into a valid marriage, marrying an illegal immigrant is no more an option prior to divorce than marrying a U.S. citizen.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

Can Permanent Residency Be Revoked After a Divorce?

Immigrants who arrive in the United States on a visa can only remain in this country for the period of time noted in ...

Can I Stay in the US if I Get Divorced but Am Not a Citizen?

One route immigrants can take to obtain citizenship in the United States is to marry a U.S. citizen. After getting ...

What Happens if I Divorce My Sponsored Non-Citizen?

If you sponsored a non-citizen for permanent residence in the United States, his immigration status depends on his ...

If You Divorce a Permanent Resident Do They Get Deported?

Foreign citizens with a valid visa are free to visit, work, live and seek an education in the United States on a ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED