Can You Get Divorced in Pennsylvania Without a Court Appearance?

By Beverly Bird

When spouses hotly contest issues between them, this invariably requires at least one court appearance so a judge can resolve the disputes before granting them a divorce. This is true in every state. However, if you and your spouse can reach an agreement on all issues between you, Pennsylvania is particularly lenient about allowing you to divorce without appearing in court. The state’s legislation offers two options if you and your spouse want to be divorced with a minimum of fuss.

Mutual Consent Divorce

You can finalize a mutual consent divorce in Pennsylvania in about three months and without attending a court hearing. The spouse filing the complaint for divorce must use the no-fault ground of irretrievable breakdown of the marriage. Each spouse must also complete and sign an affidavit, giving consent to the divorce. You must file the affidavits with the court simultaneously with the complaint. If you agree on the terms of your divorce, a judge will grant it 90 days after you file your initial paperwork, and you won’t have to appear in court.

Separation Ground

Even if your spouse does not submit an affidavit consenting to the divorce, you may still be able to avoid a court appearance. You must file on the no-fault ground of irretrievable breakdown of the marriage. However, if you don't have your spouse’s affidavit of consent, Pennsylvania requires a two-year separation before you can file on this ground. Pennsylvania does not require that you live in separate households during this time, but you have to end the marital relationship. If your spouse does not file an answer to your complaint, alleging either that your marriage is not broken or that you haven’t lived separate lives for two years, the court will usually grant your divorce within about a month. If he does argue that your marriage is not broken or that you haven’t ended your relationship, the court will order a hearing to give him an opportunity to object to the divorce.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More

Marital Settlement Agreements

With both a mutual consent divorce or a no-fault divorce based on two years’ separation, you must submit a marital settlement agreement to the court to avoid a court appearance. Spouses usually file such an agreement with the complaint and their petitions for a mutual consent divorce. A judge will end the marriage according to the terms of the agreement three months later. However, you can also submit your agreement at any time during the 90-day waiting period. If your spouse does not contest your no-fault ground of two years’ separation, avoidance of a court appearance also hinges on providing the court with a written settlement agreement. If you file on one of Pennsylvania’s fault grounds, such as adultery or extreme cruelty, you will usually have to appear in court even if you and your spouse reach an settlement and submit it to the court. Pennsylvania requires the spouse alleging the fault ground to appear before a judge and testify to the validity of the ground.


One of Pennsylvania’s fault grounds involves insanity or a serious mental disorder on the part of your spouse. He must be institutionalized for 18 months before you file for divorce, and there must be no reasonable expectation that he’ll leave the institution in the next 18 months. If you can support this with documented proof, you may not have to appear in court because you’re not actually attesting that he did anything wrong. If this sort of situation applies to you, speak with an attorney to find out the simplest way to end your marriage.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
Can You Rush a Divorce in Any Way?


Related articles

How to Do Your Own Divorce in Ohio

Either spouse may legally file for divorce in the state of Ohio. If your divorce is uncontested or no-fault, you can likely do it yourself without the assistance of an attorney. If your spouse contests the divorce or you anticipate a complex process, you should consider consulting a family attorney for advice. Ohio law allows you to end a marriage in one of two ways, either by divorce or dissolution of marriage. The dissolution of marriage procedure is cheaper and less bureaucratic, but requires each spouse to agree on all essential issues.

Can You Get a Divorce in 30 to 31 Days in Georgia?

Filing for divorce can be hard and unpleasant, making it likely you will want your divorce finalized as soon as possible. Georgia law allows a married couple to obtain a divorce 31 days after the defendant is served with a copy of the divorce complaint under certain circumstances. Whether a divorce will be granted this quickly depends on the complexity of the divorce and whether the spouses have signed a settlement agreement.

North Carolina Law for Marriage Separation

Divorcing in North Carolina can be very easy or very confusing, but the confusion arises mostly if you try to compare this state's laws with others. If you need the court to resolve certain issues -- such as property division -- you must specifically request this before divorcing. After the divorce is granted, the court will address these other issues as needed. When separation is your grounds for divorce, you must only live separate and apart for 366 days.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

New Hampshire Uncontested Divorce Requirements

An uncontested divorce is exactly what it sounds like: neither spouse is objecting to the dissolution of the marriage. ...

What Happens if I Refuse to Sign a Separation Agreement in Virginia?

Virginia is one of a handful of states that does not recognize the phrase “legal separation,” but this doesn’t mean you ...

How to Get a Quick Divorce in New York

New York does not have a reputation for speedy divorces. If your spouse contests your divorce, the process can easily ...

Do You Have to Be Separated for 6 Months to File for a Divorce?

How long you and your spouse must live separately before you can file for divorce – or if you even have to live ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED