Can a Divorced Woman Give Her Child Her Ex's Last Name?

By Ciele Edwards

The surname your child carries helps him identify with the rest of his family. Tradition dictates that a woman takes her husband's surname after marriage and any children born to the union also receive that surname, although many other arrangements exist today. You are not required to give your child a certain last name – or prohibited from it – simply because you gave birth to the child after your marriage ended.

Naming Your Child

When naming her child, a divorced woman has the same options as a married woman or a woman who was never married. If you are divorced from the child's father, you can give your child your ex-husband's last name or your own last name. If you'd like your child to carry his father's name but also want to share a surname with your child, you may consider giving the baby a hyphenated version of both your last names.

Paternity Issues

Your legal right to give your baby any name you please does not change if the child's father denies paternity. Thus, you can give your baby your ex-husband's last name regardless of whether he signed an Acknowledgment of Paternity form or whether a paternity test was performed. You can even give your child your ex-husband's last name if you know your ex-husband is not the child's father provided you do not do so in an attempt to commit fraud.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More


If your ex-husband disagrees with the name you choose for your child, he may have the option of taking the matter to court. Some states, such as Florida, have regulations in place for determining the “best interests of the child” with regard to contested names. In Florida, if the court does not specify a last name for a child whose parents are not married, the child receives a hyphenated version of both parents' last names.

Changing the Name

If you give your child your ex-husband's last name and he formally acknowledges paternity via a paternity test or Acknowledgment of Paternity form, changing the child's last name at a later date may prove difficult. A parent must generally obtain the other parent's consent before changing any part of a child's name. If your ex-husband refuses to give you permission to do so, and you cannot prove to a judge that the name change benefits your child, the child will share a surname with your ex-husband indefinitely.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
How to Change a Minor's Last Name With Divorced Parents in Maryland



Related articles

How to Change a Child's Last Name to My Married Name

The ease with which you can change your child’s surname to match your married name depends a great deal on whether her father objects and how active he is in his life. If you meet with a wall of resistance, it can be difficult, but not impossible. Ultimately, it will usually come down to a judge’s opinion as to whether the change will benefit your child.

How to Legally Change Your Name After Marriage in Ohio

As with most things, there’s an easy way and a hard way to change your name after you marry. Ohio does not allow a husband to take his wife’s surname the easy way. He must file a request with the court and receive a special court order allowing it. However, a new wife can take her husband’s name with a minimum of fuss and she does not require the court’s permission.

How to Legally Change a Child's Last Name

Unless you wish to change the last name of a child you are adopting, you will need a court order to change either the first or last name of a minor child. Name changes are governed by state law, and these laws vary somewhat from state to state. Courts require an acceptable reason before they will grant a name change.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

Can I Change My Baby's Last Name After Birth in New York State?

Traditionally, when a woman married, she took on her husband's surname. The couple then passed on the surname to any ...

How to Legally Change a Child's Last Name in Texas

The Texas Family Code contains the regulations that outline the conditions of changing the name of a minor in the ...

California Child Name Change Laws

There may be a number of reasons for changing your child's name. Perhaps your youngster is adopted by a stepparent when ...

Legal Reasons to Change a Minor's Last Name

Parents often seek court approval to change a child’s last name so the child will have the same surname as the family ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED