Can My Ex Delay Our Custody Hearing?

By Michael Butler

If you have a custody hearing scheduled before a court, the hearing will normally take place at the scheduled date and time. The only person who can delay the hearing is a judge. If your ex wants to delay the hearing, he will be able to only if the judge agrees the delay is appropriate.

Motions for Continuance

When one of the parties wants to delay a hearing, he must file a motion for continuance with the court. Often, both parties sign the motion if they agree to it. If both parties do not agree to the continuance, the court may hold the hearing at the scheduled time and decide whether to grant the continuance before hearing the rest of the case. Judges can also schedule telephone conferences on the motion for continuance to decide whether to grant it before the scheduled hearing. In some cases, a separate hearing might be scheduled to rule on the motion.

Good Cause

Continuances are only granted for a good cause. Depending upon the stage of the proceedings, what constitutes a good cause differs. For example, if your unrepresented ex hires a new lawyer, he might request a continuance to allow the lawyer time to get up to speed in the case or because the attorney is unavailable at the original scheduled time. A judge might consider this a good cause for granting a continuance for a hearing that was scheduled with two weeks' notice. In contrast, the same judge might not think this is a good cause for hearings scheduled with six months' notice.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More

Common Reasons

Judges often grant motions to continue if one of the parties asks for mediation or for a custody evaluation by an outside authority, unless the judge thinks that the request is being made solely for delay. If your ex has an accident and is in the hospital, a judge will usually grant a continuance. The judge will not grant a continuance if the original hearing date is inconvenient. Thus, your ex will not be allowed to delay your custody hearing just because he wants a different date for his own reasons.


Hearings are often continued for a variety of reasons: The judge might be sick, a jury trial in the same courtroom might go longer than previously anticipated or the same judge may need to hear a criminal trial for constitutional reasons. If a judge does grant your ex's request for a continuance over your objection, don't get upset with the court. The same judge will eventually hear your custody case and your behavior in front of the judge will factor in to how the judge views your credibility.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
How to Postpone a Divorce Court Day


Related articles

How Can a Motion for Custody Change Be Dismissed?

A child custody order is modified by filing a motion to change custody. A level of permanence is associated with child custody orders. In other words, when a court issues a custody order, it typically will not order a change to the arrangement unless there's been a significant change of circumstances -- a change so significant that the best interests of a child are no longer served by the existing custodial arrangement. Once filed, a motion to change custody can be dismissed for many reasons.

How Long Do You Have to File an Appeal for Divorce in Arizona?

If you can't reach an agreement with your spouse as to how to end your marriage, you run the risk of having a judge decide things for you at trial. Your life – and all the things that matter most to you – end up in a judge's hands, subject to his discretion and decisions. He may or may not agree with your arguments, and he's only human. He can make mistakes. In the latter case, Arizona law gives you options for setting things right, but you won’t have much time to act.

How to File an Extension for a Divorce

Courts are generally busy with many cases on their dockets, so they like to keep everything moving according to set timelines. However, courts are often generous in granting extensions for a final divorce hearing in cases where the parties are attempting to settle their differences concerning property or child custody. Courts are even more generous in granting extensions when the parties are attempting to reconcile. If you want to extend the time before your divorce is granted, you can ask the court if it will allow it.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

How to Behave in Custody Battles

The end of a marriage is difficult, but the idea of losing custody of your children is terrifying. A judge's only ...

How to Appeal a Child Custody Decision in Dallas, Texas

Child custody cases can be highly contentious and emotional, and an unfavorable ruling can be devastating. Texas law ...

How to File a Will Contest in Oklahoma

In Oklahoma, when the executor of a will files the will with the court and a petition for probate, the court ...

How to File a Motion for a New Pendente Lite Hearing for a Divorce

Pendente lite orders don’t last forever. They’re temporary until a judge rules on a final divorce decree, or until you ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED