Can My Ex Sue Me After a Bifurcation Divorce?

By Beverly Bird

Divorce laws can vary from state to state, and this is particularly true with the issue of bifurcation. Bifurcating a divorce allows you and your spouse to part ways without first deciding issues, such as property division. However, not all states allow it. Alaska, California and Kansas include provisions for bifurcation in their legislative codes, but Michigan, Texas, Arizona and Nebraska don't permit it. In New Jersey, a court will only permit bifurcation under "extraordinary circumstances." If you're unsure about your own state, check with an attorney to find out if it's possible, because some jurisdictions don't have any hard-and-fast rules for bifurcation at all.


When your divorce is bifurcated, the court legally ends your marriage but some important issues remain open to litigation. This enables you to move on with your life while buying some time to reach a marital settlement agreement or prepare for trial. Bifurcation typically occurs when one or both spouses petition the court to allow it.

Outstanding Issues

Unless you and your spouse reach a marital settlement agreement, bifurcating your divorce involves two separate hearings. The court legally dissolves your marriage at the first hearing, then a judge decides outstanding issues, such as division of property, debts, support or custody, during a trial. In the interim, your ex can raise new issues pertaining to anything that was reserved or held over for decision at the trial. However, this technically isn't "suing" you because there's already an open litigation. If your ex was the one who filed for divorce in the first place, she sued you at that time.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More

Post-Judgment Motions

Whether a divorce is bifurcated or traditional, one spouse can always take the other back to court after a divorce is final by filing a post-judgment motion. Your ex might do this if you've broken the terms of your judgment, such as by not following through with property division or by violating support terms. She can also file a contempt action over these type of issues. If circumstances have changed since your divorce and your ex wants to modify the terms of your judgment, she can file a post-judgment motion for this as well. For example, your original custody arrangement may no longer work because an older child wants to live with his other parent. A modification order would be necessary to adapt the divorce judgment to the current circumstances and to address the impact on child support.

Civil Damages

There's also the possibility that your ex might want to sue you for damages in civil court, not family court, either while your bifurcated divorce is pending or after your divorce is final. These are tort claims, alleging you're financially liable to her for damages because you hurt her in some way. This isn't possible in all states because of something called "interspousal tort immunity." This legal doctrine prohibits one spouse from suing the other, before or after divorce. If your divorce is bifurcated, these issues can be raised as part of the divorce trial. Otherwise, civil courts may not be willing to address issues of emotional liability and damages after a divorce court has already ended the marriage. Your ex might have more luck if she's suing you over something like personal injury or fraud because you deceived her into agreeing to a settlement.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
How to Divorce Someone With a Narcissistic Personality Disorder


Related articles

Define Contested Divorce

If you can’t reach an agreement with your spouse regarding how to end your marriage, your divorce is contested. Contested means that you’re in a position where you must let a judge decide one or more issues between you because you can’t do it on your own. However, a contested divorce is not necessarily an absolute and permanent condition. Many divorces begin as contested matters but never go to trial because spouses settle and eventually reach an agreement.

Do I Have to Be Separated Before a Divorce If My Husband Cheated in North Carolina?

North Carolina is one of the easiest states in which to get a divorce, but at the same time, some of its statutes can complicate the divorce process. Unlike most states, you and your spouse don't have to resolve all issues to end your marriage, but you must live separate and apart from each other for at least a year to get a traditional divorce. If your spouse is guilty of marital misconduct such as adultery, however, North Carolina offers an alternative to the one-year waiting period.

Wife Rights During Separation Before a Divorce

All spouses have certain rights, but they’re usually not enforceable without court intervention. Before the court can act, you must initiate a lawsuit against your husband. After you've filed a petition for divorce or for legal separation, a judge can enter orders to protect you and your interests. You can ask the court to order your husband to do something while your divorce is pending or to make him stop doing something.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

Meaning of Bifurcation in Divorce

Divorce can be a long, drawn-out affair. If it's contested, it can take years. In the meantime, spouses remain legally ...

Vexatious Litigation Used in Divorce

Divorce is an emotionally charged process that often brings out the worst in people -- they may find themselves ...

What if My Wife in New York State Refuses to Divorce Me?

Until 2010, if you lived in New York and your wife refused to divorce you, she could have complicated the situation ...

Can the Respondent Finalize a Divorce if the Petitioner Won't Sign?

Sometimes a spouse files for divorce only to find out that the process is not going exactly the way she anticipated. ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED