What Can I Do if My Ex Is Working Under the Table & Not Paying Child Support?

By Angie Gambone

Federal and state law requires that a noncustodial parent pay child support unless there are special circumstances where a judge waives this requirement. Courts will usually collect child support by garnishing a noncustodial parent's wages. In some instances, your ex-spouse may work under the table or receive cash payments, which makes it difficult for the court to enforce a wage garnishment. If that is the case, there are steps you can take to try to get child support that is owed to you.

Filing an Enforcement Motion

If your ex is required to pay child support and he stops paying, or pays less than he should, you can file a motion with the court. This is commonly called an "enforcement motion" or a "motion to enforce child support." In your paperwork, you explain why you believe your ex is working under the table, which means he is working but not accurately reporting his income to the government. This frequently occurs when employees work for cash instead of receiving paychecks. Include a copy of your child support order so the court can see how much back child support your ex owes. The court will give you a hearing date when you can go before a judge and present your case.

Proving Your Ex Is Working Under the Table

It may be possible to prove that your ex is working under the table. You can hire a private investigator to follow your ex and collect evidence that he is working on a regular basis. Also, after you file an enforcement motion, the court may permit you to subpoena the company where your ex works and require the company to provide copies of payroll statements. In some instances, you may even be able to subpoena your ex's bank statements to show regular cash deposits. You need the court's permission to issue these types of subpoenas. Occasionally, the court will issue the subpoena on its own. To be certain that you are not breaking any laws or violating your ex's privacy, it is best to seek out the services of an attorney if you want to prove your ex is not reporting all of his income.

Get a free, confidential bankruptcy evaluation. Learn More

Imputing Income

If you are unable to provide evidence that your ex is working under the table, the court can still impute income to him. This means the judge will determine an annual income that she thinks your ex is capable of earning and will require him to pay child support based on that income. The court will also impute income to your ex if he is unemployed but could be working or if he is underemployed, meaning he is earning some income but should be earning more. To impute income, the court will review your ex's educational background and work history to determine what types of jobs he may qualify for. If all else fails, the court can at least impute minimum wage to your ex and then calculate child support. The bottom line is, except in very limited circumstances, a noncustodial parent will be required to pay child support whether he is actually working or not.

Penalties for Not Paying Child Support

If your ex does not pay child support, the court can impose penalties to try to discourage this type of behavior in the future. The court can report your ex's past due child support as a bad debt to credit reporting agencies, making it difficult for your ex to get approved for loans in the future. The court can also suspend your ex's driver's license and prevent him from obtaining a passport. You can also place liens on your ex's property so that if he ever sells it, you may receive some of the profits. The Internal Revenue Service can also intercept your ex's tax refund and use it to pay the past due child support owed to you. In extreme circumstances, the court can have your ex arrested for failing to pay child support.

Get a free, confidential bankruptcy evaluation. Learn More
Can Child Support Be Deducted From Two Jobs?



Related articles

Alabama Laws on Child Support & the Restart of Child Support

Child support in Alabama is usually determined in a straightforward manner. As in many other states, Alabama uses the "income shares" model to determine child support. The formula takes into account the combined gross income of both parents, percentage each parent earns and several other factors such as who pays for health insurance. Either parent can ask for the child support amount to be recalculated at any time when there is a change of circumstances. There are situations when child support is stopped and then restarted, but they are rare.

Will a Post-Bankruptcy Car Payoff Show on My Credit Report?

If you are like most debtors filing for bankruptcy, you are behind on your rent, credit card bills and car payments. You also rely on your car to go to work, and the loss of your car would be devastating to your already precarious financial circumstances. Bankruptcy can be your opportunity to avoid repossession of your car and help you restore your credit rating.

Why Do I Have to Give My Payroll Stubs to My Divorce Attorney?

Divorces revolve around two important issues: your children and your finances. Your pay stubs can affect both. Judges and attorneys won’t take your word for it regarding how much you earn. They’ll want proof to ensure that your children receive an appropriate amount of child support, and to calculate spousal support, if applicable. Your pay stubs provide irrefutable confirmation that your income is what you say it is.


Related articles

How to Get Child Support When the Father Does Not Get Paid From a Conventional Job

Since January 1994, the United States government has mandated that all child support orders include provisions for ...

Can Child Support Use Veterans Disability as Income?

Child support is set by state courts under guidelines established by state laws. Federal benefits, like those ...

Punishment for Not Paying Child Support in the State of Nevada

In Nevada, the amount of child support you have to pay is set by state guidelines based upon a percentage of your gross ...

Can I Be Forced to Switch Jobs Due to Child Support?

If you have children, your divorce decree likely includes an order to pay a specific amount of child support. Since ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED