Can You File for Citizenship if You Get Divorced?

By Ciele Edwards

An individual with permanent residency holds a green card and has many of the same rights and responsibilities as U.S. citizens – including the right to live and work in the U.S. A permanent resident can become a U.S. citizen through the process of naturalization. Permanent residency is one of many requirements immigrants must meet when applying for citizenship. In certain situations, getting divorced may strip an immigrant of her green card or her ability to apply for one. This, in turn, makes filing a naturalization application impossible.


A U.S. permanent resident who meets the requirements for naturalization can file Form N-400 with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services to request citizenship. Depending on how the permanent resident received his green card, he must prove that he has lived in the U.S. continuously for either three or five years since receiving permanent residency. He must be at least 18 years old, speak, read and write English and display a working knowledge of U.S. history and government. The permanent resident does not have to be married to a U.S. citizen to apply for citizenship.

Permanent Residency

No immigrant can apply for naturalization without first applying for and receiving permanent residency. One common ground under which immigrants can apply for permanent residency is through marriage. If you get divorced before filing your permanent residency application, or during the application and interview process, you lose the very grounds under which the application was originally filed – marriage. This does not automatically invalidate your petition, but could result in USCIS denying your permanent residency application.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More

Conditional Permanent Residence

Obtaining permanent residence through marriage does not mean that you can safely retain your permanent residence should you and your spouse divorce. Unless you and your spouse were married more than two years when you originally filed the permanent residency application, you will receive a conditional green card when USCIS approves your application. You and your spouse must fill out and submit a joint application to USCIS before your conditional status becomes permanent. Should you and your spouse divorce during the two-year conditional period, you can apply to have the joint application requirement removed and subsequently apply to have the conditions removed from your permanent residency. If you do not do so, you will lose your status and may be removed from the country.


Marriage is not the only grounds some immigrants have for filing a permanent residency application. If you obtained your green card through direct employment in the U.S., a job offer or your investment in a U.S.-based enterprise, your marriage – or lack thereof – has no impact on your current immigration status. Thus, you can apply for citizenship provided you meet the requirements for doing so. A divorce will not adversely affect your application.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
Can I Stay in the US if I Get Divorced but Am Not a Citizen?



Related articles

What if Your Visa Is a Green Card and You Want a Divorce?

If you received a green card because you married a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident, divorcing your spouse may affect your ability to keep that green card, depending on when the divorce took place. If you married and divorced your spouse within two years of when the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services issued you a green card, the USCIS will presume that your marriage was a sham. As a result, it is likely that you will be deported, unless you can prove that you entered into your marriage in good faith.

Can a Divorced Spouse Waive the Social Security Income of a Spouse?

After a long-term marriage, you may be entitled to receive Social Security benefits under your ex-spouse's work record. However, application is optional; you do not have to file any sort of waiver to stop the Social Security Administration from sending you benefits. If you are interested in receiving such benefits, you must qualify by meeting certain requirements and actually apply.

Do I Need to Change the Name on My Green Card If I Get Married?

The United States Customs and Immigration Service (USCIS) issues the Permanent Resident Card, or I-551, informally known as the "green card," to those immigrants holding resident status in the United States. The card carries vital information as well as a photograph; in the case of a name change due to marriage you must apply for a new card.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

Can Permanent Residency Be Revoked After a Divorce?

Immigrants who arrive in the United States on a visa can only remain in this country for the period of time noted in ...

Can You Divorce & Remarry Without a Green Card?

Green card holders have permanent resident status in the U.S. and can remain in the country indefinitely without a ...

What Happens if I Get Divorced After I Submit My Permanent Residency?

U.S. immigration law allows U.S. citizens and permanent residents to sponsor their non-citizen spouses for permanent ...

If You Divorce a Permanent Resident Do They Get Deported?

Foreign citizens with a valid visa are free to visit, work, live and seek an education in the United States on a ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED