Can I Get Judicare to Help Me Get Divorced in Wisconsin?

By Andrine Redsteer

Wisconsin Judicare is a nonprofit organization that provides free legal services to qualifying low-income residents in northern Wisconsin. Wisconsin Judicare may help you obtain a divorce if you meet its eligibility requirements. To qualify for free assistance through Wisconsin Judicare, you must not exceed its income limits and live in one of the counties it serves.

Judicare Card

Wisconsin Judicare assists qualifying residents in family law matters, meaning it may assist you in obtaining a divorce. If you qualify, you may receive a Judicare card along with a list of attorneys throughout your county who accept Judicare cards. Once you receive your Judicare card, you may contact an attorney on the list provided or find another attorney who accepts Judicare cases. You must obtain a Judicare card, however, before making an appointment for a consultation.

Counties Served

Judicare serves 33 counties in northern Wisconsin including Clark, Eau Claire and Onieda counties among others. According to the Wisconsin Judicare website, you must live in one of these 33 counties to qualify for free legal aid. Wisconsin Judicare has outreach partner agencies in each of these 33 counties; some outreach partner agencies have staff who can answer questions about legal matters while others provide applications only.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More

Income Requirements

To qualify for Wisconsin Judicare assistance with your divorce, you must meet its income requirements. Although Judicare sets maximum income limits based on the current federal poverty guidelines, you may still apply if your income exceeds the guidelines. In other words, you may still qualify after all factors are considered, including annual household expenses.

How to Apply

In addition to visiting an outreach partner agency in your county, you may apply for Wisconsin Judicare through its online application process. You may also apply by speaking to a Judicare representative over the phone, mailing an application to Judicare's main office or visiting the main office in person.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
Can I Get Legal Aid for Bankruptcy in Ohio?


Related articles

How to Set Up an LLC in Wisconsin

Is a Business License Needed to Form an LLC?

How to Get a DBA in Utah

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

How to Form a Delaware Limited Liability Company

Kentucky Rules on Sole Proprietorship

How do I Register an LLC for Multiple Members?

Can You File for Citizenship if You Get Divorced?

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED