Can an LLC File a 2553?

By Eric Novinson

A LLC can elect to be taxed as a C or an S corporation. A C corporation is taxed on its profits and has to pay federal income taxes. Form 2553 allows a LLC to stop paying corporate income taxes. An LLC files Form 2553 to switch from filing as a C corporation to filing as an S corporation. Like a partnership, an S corporation can be a pass-through entity.

Filing Options

An LLC that selects corporate status for federal income taxes either files Form 2553 or Form 8832. When the LLC chooses to file as an S corporation, it files Form 2553, and when it chooses to file as a C corporation, it files form 8832. If the LLC does not file either form, the Internal Revenue Service classifies it as a partnership by default.

Time Limit

An LLC that has filed previous tax returns as a C corporation can still file a Form 2553 and select taxation as an S corporation. According to the Internal Revenue Service, the LLC must file Form 2553 at least 2 months and 15 days before it is required to file its tax return to qualify for taxation as an S corporation. The LLC can also file Form 2553 in one year, even if less than this time limit remains until it must file its current tax return, to change its filing status for the next year.

Ready to start your LLC? Start an LLC Online Now


If the time limit expires, an LLC can file a Form 2553 and request relief from the IRS. The IRS allows a company to file this form late if certain conditions apply. If the only reason that the IRS does not classify the company as an S corporation is that it has not filed Form 2553, the IRS will grant an extension. The IRS will also grant an extension if all members who hold shares in the S corporation have filed their personal federal income taxes according to the rules for an S corporation shareholder.


Form 2553 requires consent from the members of the LLC. According to the New Mexico Bar, a corporate officer must sign the main signature line on the form. The shareholder's consent statement must include the signatures of all members who hold shares of the LLC. The company can select an effective date for its switch to S corporation filing status that is earlier than the date that it actually files Form 2553. If the company chooses an earlier date, any member that owned shares between these two dates also has to sign the consent statement.

Ready to start your LLC? Start an LLC Online Now
How to Close an S Corp With the IRS


Related articles

Can an LLC File as a C Corp?

Once you form a limited liability company, or LLC, you can’t treat your business as a C corp unless you create a legal corporate entity for it. However, if you only want the LLC to file as a C corporation for tax purposes, the IRS allows for it, but the LLC must commit to comply with every corporate income tax rule for a minimum number of years.

What Is an LLC 1065 Filer?

Though a business may select to be an LLC under state law, the federal government does not allow a business to file federal income taxes as an LLC. A business may choose to file federal income taxes as either a partnership or as a corporation. When a business files taxes as a partnership, it must send Form 1065, called Return of U.S. Partnership Income, to the IRS to report its earnings.

S Corporation Passive Income Restrictions

An S corporation is a corporation consisting of 100 or fewer shareholders that has a special tax designation granted by the IRS. While this designation offers the shareholders certain tax benefits, it requires the company to adhere to several restrictions and conditions. One of these restrictions involves how much passive income the business earns. It is important for an S corporation to closely monitor how much passive income it earns to ensure that it avoids any IRS penalties or tax repercussions.

LLCs, Corporations, Patents, Attorney Help

Related articles

What Are All the IRS Filings for an S Corp?

A "C" corporation is a standard corporation, while an "S" corporation has elected a special tax status with the IRS, ...

Can I Convert My LLC to an S-Corp When Filing My Tax Return?

The IRS applies default rules to determine how an LLC will be taxed. In general, a single-member LLC is taxed as a sole ...

What Are the Tax Advantages of LLCs?

A limited liability company, or LLC, is a business entity that has the advantage of offering personal liability ...

How to Terminate an S-Corp Election & Revert to an LLC

A qualifying LLC that has previously elected to be treated as a corporation for federal tax purposes by filing IRS Form ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED