Can I Make My Siblings Include Me on a Mother's Estate?

By Anna Assad

Your siblings usually can't prevent you from sharing in your mother's estate. State laws give you a share of your mother's estate unless she specifically disinherited you in her will. Even if she disinherited you, you may challenge the will in court. Your share of your mother's estate depends on the laws of your state and whether your mother left a will.

Intestate Share

If your mother died without leaving a will, you usually have a right to your mother's estate even if your siblings don't give want to you a share. Intestacy laws vary by state, but children of the deceased are usually the first in line to inherit, after a surviving spouse. Whoever files the petition for estate proceedings — your sibling, for example — has to notify you of the proceedings and must tell you about your mother's estate, including how much property she owned. You have the right to take part in your mother's estate proceedings. The person appointed by the court to oversee your mother's estate has to give you your share and file a release signed by you with the probate court. The release shows the court you received your share.


As is the case with estate proceedings without a will, you must be notified of probate proceedings on your mother's estate by whoever files a petition in court. Probate proceedings settle the estate of a person who died with a will. If your mother left you a share in her will, your siblings can't stop you from taking it unless the court finds the will isn't valid; the court follows state intestacy laws if the will isn't acceptable. The executor — a person appointed by the court to manage your mother's estate — must follow the will's directions. Once you receive your share, you'll have to sign a release for the executor.

Protect your loved ones. Start My Estate Plan

Will Contest

If your mother left you out of the will or specifically disinherited you, you may contest the will by petitioning the probate court holding the estate proceedings. You must have a legal basis for contesting the will. Valid reasons to challenge a will vary by state but commonly focus on the person's state of mind or health when she made her will. If your mother wasn't in a sound state of mind when she made her will, for example, you can contest the will on that basis, but you must prove it. Medical records showing your mother had a disease that affected her mind, such as Alzheimer's, at the time the will was made and testimony from witnesses who knew her would help prove your case. Other reasons for contesting a will include undue influence — for example, your sibling pressured your mother into making the will — and forgery. If the judge rules the will isn't valid, you'll get a share of the estate according to the state's intestacy laws. However, if your mother's will had a "no-contest" clause — a term disinheriting a beneficiary who unsuccessfully challenges the will — you may get nothing if you lose.


Laws in some states, such as Washington, will provide you with a share of your mother's estate if the will didn't mention you at all and was made before you were born or adopted by her. If you believe your siblings are hiding your mother's assets, you can file a petition in the court handling your mother's estate to ask for an account. The executor or administrator of the estate has to provide you and the court with a line-item account of all your mother's assets and what he's done on the estate.

Protect your loved ones. Start My Estate Plan
How to Divide Possessions When Making a Will


Related articles

How to Find Out if My Father Left Me Any Assets

When an individual dies, his assets pass to his beneficiaries according to the terms outlined in his will. If he did not leave behind a will, he died “intestate,” and the probate court in the county where he lived distributes his remaining assets according to state law. As the child of the deceased, you may be entitled to an inheritance regardless of whether your father left behind a will. The will's executor or the probate court must notify you of any inheritance you are scheduled to receive after your father's death. The probate process, however, is not perfect and beneficiaries do not always receive proper notice of their inheritance. If you suspect you may be entitled to a portion of your deceased father's estate, you have several options, depending on whether your father left a will.

How Do I File My Last Will & Testament in Court?

You may file your Last Will and Testament in your local probate or surrogate's court for safekeeping. Filing your will with the court while you are still living may prevent common problems associated with you keeping your will at home, like your heirs being unable to locate the original document. A will filed for safekeeping cannot be altered, and because you filed the document yourself, questions surrounding the will's validity may be dismissed during your estate proceedings.

Advice on Contesting Wills

A will contest or a will challenge is a court case brought to dispute the validity of a will, according to FindLaw. In most cases, a will contest is filed with the probate court, and the executor of the estate is responsible for defending the will's validity. It may be wise to hire an attorney for a will contest. He will know your state's laws regarding will challenges, and may increase your chances of success.

LegalZoom. Legal help is here. Start Here. Wills. Trusts. Attorney help. Wills & Trusts

Related articles

What Is the New Jersey Law Regarding Children Left Out of Wills?

Not all states allow you to intentionally disinherit your child, but New Jersey does, according to an article by ...

How to Make Someone the Executor of a Will

You need to cover the important aspects of your estate in your will, including who you are leaving assets to, how much ...

How to Write a Letter to Claim a Deceased Relative's Estate

What happens when you know are an heir of an estate but aren't included in the will? This can happen if the deceased ...

If My Girlfriend Had Our Baby, Does She Have Custody?

Once your girlfriend has your baby, she is the full custodian of the child until you legally establish you're the ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED