Can a Parent With Sole Custody Deny Visits?

By Beverly Bird

If you have sole custody, you probably have a court order that awards you both legal custody and physical custody. Physical custody means that your child lives with you. Legal custody means you make all important decisions regarding your child without input from his other parent. Because all states believe a child should enjoy regular contact with both parents, the court order giving you sole custody probably specifies visitation times between your child and your ex. If so, you can’t suspend that visitation on your own. Only the court can deny visitation.


If your custody order does not include language setting a specific visitation schedule, it probably says something such as, “Visitation is by agreement between the parties.” If your order reads this way, you have a little flexibility. You don’t have to cancel pre-existing plans or interrupt your child’s scheduled events, such as a baseball game, if his other parent demands to see him on a moment's notice. However, if you refuse to let your child see his other parent on a regular basis, your ex can file a contempt action against you in court. Courts will sometimes change custody when one parent consistently denies, refuses or interferes with visitation.


Even if your court order does set a specific visitation routine, you don’t have to let your child go with his other parent if you honestly feel it would endanger him. For example, if his other parent arrives to pick him up and he is obviously intoxicated, you would not want your child to get in a car with him. You can deny visitation on an isolated basis for such reasons, but you should document these events as much as possible. Call the police and create a record of the incident. Protect yourself in case your ex decides to accuse you of interfering with custody for no reason.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More

Court Intervention

If you’re having repeated problems with visitation, you have the right to file a motion with the court, asking a judge to address the situation. Courts will modify a custody order when warranted; you’re not necessarily at the mercy of the one you’ve got until your child reaches the age of majority. However, if you’re going to ask the court to deny your ex visitation entirely, you’ll need a very good, very well-documented reason. One or two incidents will probably not be enough to change your custody order, but repeated problems of the same nature might be. Your ex’s behavior would also have to be pretty severe for a court to curtail his right to see his child entirely. This usually means that he must have endangered your child in some way, not just that he’s a bad or irresponsible parent.

Restricted Visitation

Although courts are unlikely to deny visitation completely except under extreme circumstances, this doesn’t mean judges are willing to place a child in an iffy, potentially dangerous or distressing situation over and over again. Courts sometimes award supervised visitation, where a responsible third party must always be present during the times when your child is with his other parent. A judge might also restrict visitation to daytime hours only. If you’re having real problems with visitation, speak with an attorney to find out if these options might work for you, or if your situation is so severe that you have a chance of getting visitation stopped entirely.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
The Fastest Way to Restore Visitation if Denied in Missouri


Related articles

Liberal Visitation Rights

"Liberal" is one of those terms in divorce law that has no quantifiable meaning. It applies to the custody terms of your decree, describing the visitation arrangement that either you or your spouse will have with your children, depending on which of you is the non-custodial parent.

Can You Go Back to Court for Custody After You Gave Your Child to Your Spouse?

Parents always maintain the right to go back to court to change custody arrangements after their divorce is final. The real question is whether the court will grant a request for modification of your order. Courts don’t want to force children to live in a bad situation when their custodial parent’s circumstances change, but neither do they want to move children back and forth between parents without good cause. Changes that warrant a modification of custody must usually be material, substantial and occur in the home in which the child is living.

The Father of My Child Has My Son & Won't Give Him to Me, and Neither of Us Have Custody

If you were never married to your child’s father, you probably have legal custody without realizing it, even if you don’t have a court order. If you were married but have separated, you also have legal custody without a court order. However, even with legal custody, there may be difficulties in forcing your child's father to return him to you.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

Who Has the Right to Custody During Noncustodial Visitation?

Custody trumps visitation. It is never changed or altered simply because a child is visiting with her non-custodial ...

Information About Visitation Rights

When you and your spouse divorce, it's unlikely that your child is going to live with either of you 24/7. The best ...

How to Obtain Full Custody in Colorado

It’s usually not easy to obtain full custody in any state, but Colorado makes it particularly difficult. Section ...

Reasons to Withhold Visitation in Virginia Child Custody

Virginia law is firm that a child has a right to contact with both parents. If you deny visitation without court ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED