Can a Person Be Forced Into a Divorce in Ohio?

By Heather Frances J.D.

Divorce can be simpler when both spouses agree to the divorce and its terms, but Ohio law does not allow one spouse to prevent a divorce by objecting to it. A spouse who does not want to get a divorce can delay the process and make it more difficult, but he ultimately cannot keep it from happening. Thus, one spouse can get a divorce without the other spouse’s consent, thereby forcing him into it.


Courts must have a reason, or grounds, upon which to base a divorce, and Ohio offers several grounds to choose from. A spouse can file for divorce based upon the no-fault ground of incompatibility, which requires little proof, but an Ohio court can only grant a divorce based on incompatibility if both spouses agree. One spouse cannot force the other to divorce based on incompatibility, and the objecting spouse can simply deny incompatibility exists. However, denying or contesting incompatibility will not stop the divorce. Instead, the filing spouse can file for divorce based on another of Ohio’s grounds.

Fault Grounds

Fault-based divorce grounds require the filing spouse to prove that her spouse did something wrong to destroy the marriage. If a filing spouse cannot provide sufficient proof, the judge cannot grant the divorce. For example, a spouse’s gross neglect can be grounds for divorce, but the filing spouse must prove the other spouse failed to meet his spousal obligations of respect, fidelity and support, which may be evidenced by a failure to provide financial or emotional support, or engage in sexual relations.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More


Even if the filing spouse cannot prove fault-based grounds, she cannot be forced to stay married. Ohio permits spouses to divorce based on the no-fault ground of separation for at least one year, so a filing spouse can obtain a divorce after living separately from her spouse for at least a year. Spouses must actually live in separate homes during this one-year period. In Ohio, living separately under the same roof is not sufficient to qualify as separation in a divorce proceeding.


The non-filing spouse can ask the court for a conciliation period or family counseling before the divorce is granted. The court can order the couple to go through family counseling and can even name the counselor the couple must see. The divorce cannot be completed until the conciliation or counseling is completed. But if it does not work, it only delays the divorce. If the filing spouse is still determined to end the marriage after the conciliation period, she can.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
Can One Mate Refuse a Divorce in North Carolina?


Related articles

Causes of Divorce: Habitual Drunkenness

In 2010, New York became the last jurisdiction to pass provisions for no-fault divorce, so all 50 states have now moved away from requiring that spouses cast blame to end their marriages. In fact, many states decline to recognize any fault grounds at all. Among those remaining, some permit divorce on the grounds that your spouse is habitually drunk.

How Do I File for Divorce in Oregon?

In Oregon, divorce is called dissolution of marriage. Either spouse can file for dissolution and must do so in accordance with the procedures set forth in the Oregon statutes. During the dissolution proceeding, a court may divide marital property, award alimony, decide custody issues and terminate the marriage.

Types of Divorce in South Dakota

When spouses decide to end their marriage, one or both of them must file for divorce. To be eligible to file for divorce in South Dakota, the filing spouse, called the Plaintiff, must be a resident of the state. The divorce petition must be filed in the Plaintiff's county of residence, unless the Defendant, the other spouse, also resides in South Dakota, in which case the petition may be filed in the Defendant's county of residence.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

Can You Refuse to Give Your Spouse a Divorce in Georgia?

Your spouse may file for divorce, believing the marriage is over, but even if you aren’t ready to divorce just yet, ...

Is Imprisonment Grounds for Divorce?

If your spouse commits a crime and gets put in prison, you may not want to stay married any longer. While you can ...

Can a Divorce Be Denied?

Depending on your state’s laws, the state court can decline to grant your divorce, but it won’t deny a divorce simply ...

Does an Affair Matter in a Divorce in Tennessee?

An affair can be devastating to a marriage. Tennessee allows you obtain a divorce from your spouse based solely on ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED