Can a Person Move During a Divorce in Arizona?

By Heather Frances J.D.

If you and your spouse lived in Arizona at the time your marriage fell apart, then that's the proper place to file for divorce, called dissolution of marriage. However, divorce is sometimes a lengthy process, and you may want to move out of state before your divorce is final. Moving likely will not change your divorce, but it may impact the court’s authority to decide issues like child custody.


Under Section 25-312 of the Arizona Revised Statutes, the spouse who files for divorce must live in Arizona, or be stationed in Arizona by the military, for at least 90 days before filing the petition for dissolution of marriage. When the filing spouse meets this residency requirement and files the petition, the court gains jurisdiction over her, giving the court the authority to decide issues pertaining to the divorce. Jurisdiction is determined at the time a spouse files for divorce, so there is no requirement that she continue living in Arizona after filing.

Long Arm Jurisdiction

Arizona retains jurisdiction over the divorce case even when one or both spouses move out of state, as long as the case was properly filed. If one spouse files for the divorce while the other lives out of state, or if the defendant spouse moves after the divorce is filed, Arizona can exercise jurisdiction over the defendant spouse under its “long arm” statute. This statute permits someone to be sued in Arizona -- for divorce or other matters -- if that person has sufficient contacts with Arizona such that it is fair to require him to appear in court there. For example, if the spouses both lived in Arizona, but one moved away the week after the divorce was filed, an Arizona court would still have jurisdiction over the moving spouse since he had plenty of ties to Arizona at the time the divorce was filed.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More

Logistical Problems

Though it may be legally possible to complete a divorce in Arizona when one or both spouses move, it may not be easy. Moving mid-divorce can complicate your case, particularly if the divorce is contested. For example, if you must travel back to the Arizona court for multiple hearings, you may find it easier and less expensive to simply remain in Arizona until the divorce is complete. If you are representing yourself in court, you may have to hire an attorney to be your local representative if you move out of state.


Moving out of state may remove the Arizona court’s ability to determine custody if the moving spouse takes his children with him when he moves. Arizona has adopted the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act, which governs when a court has jurisdiction to address issues such as child custody. Typically, a child must live in a state, called the home state, for at least six months before that state’s courts can issue custody orders. A court in another state can issue custody orders under certain circumstances but may be reluctant to do so except in emergencies. If an Arizona court loses jurisdiction over divorcing spouses’ children, they may still get a divorce in that court, but they must go to another court in the new state to determine child custody and visitation.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
Divorce & Jurisdiction


Related articles

With Temporary Custody of a Minor in Georgia Can I Leave the State and Still Have Custody?

If you have a temporary child custody order, the court may or may not permit you to leave the state of Georgia with your child. However, if you can and do leave with your child, the terms of your custody order would most likely remain unchanged -- at least until such time as a permanent order supersedes it.

Parental Custody Rights When Moving Out of the State of PA

The issue of parental relocation is one of the most emotionally charged in custody law. No matter which way a court rules, there’s rarely a happy ending for everyone involved. If the court permits the custodial parent to move, she’ll get her wish to start over elsewhere. But depending on how far she moves, her ex may be looking at a future where he will hardly ever see his kids, and her children may lose touch with their other parent.

I Am in North Carolina & My Wife Is in California: Can I Still Get a Divorce?

When you live in North Carolina and your wife lives in California, you can still get a divorce. However, certain residency requirements may come into play, which will affect whether your or your wife may file for divorce where you live. In addition, specific rules apply if you and your spouse have minor children -- these rules dictate which state has jurisdiction to issue an order regarding custody. Further, state-specific property division rules may also play into the decision of where to file.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

Moving Out of State in the Middle of a Custody Battle in Texas

If you’re in the middle of active custody litigation, Texas courts won’t take it well if you suddenly move out of state ...

How Long Do You Have to Live in Tennessee Before You Can Divorce Someone From Another State?

Filing for divorce can be a confusing process and you may even be uncertain regarding where you can file. If you have ...

Can You Refuse to Give Your Spouse a Divorce in Georgia?

Your spouse may file for divorce, believing the marriage is over, but even if you aren’t ready to divorce just yet, ...

Moving a Child Custody Court Case in Florida to Georgia

Most states, including Florida and Georgia, have enacted the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act as ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED