Can I Press Charges in Illinois on My Kids' Father for the Back Child Support He Owes?

By John Cromwell

If an Illinois court issues a child support order, as part of a paternity suit or divorce decree, the owing parent has a legal obligation to pay it. If the father of your kids does not pay the child support he owes, you can press charges on him. You can either challenge him yourself or get the Illinois Attorney General’s office to litigate on your behalf.

Petition for Rule to Show Cause

This first step is to prepare a Petition for Rule to Show Cause. Generally, the clerk of the court where you originally obtained the child support order will have blank petition forms related to child support you can use. You must provide a copy of the child support order or judgment of dissolution of marriage with your petition. You will need to cite the original order in the petition, as well as provide the case number. In the petition, you must also disclose the period of time the father has not paid his child support. When the form is completed, you must sign the form as well as an oath confirming everything you stated in the petition is true.

Filing the Petition

Once you have completed the petition, you will need to make three copies of it, the attached order and three notice of motion forms. Blank notice of motion forms can be obtained from the clerk of court. You need to bring all three packets to the clerk, who will then assign you a hearing date and keep one of the packets. You must provide notice and a copy of your motion to the father. Then both of you will need to attend the hearing, where the father must explain why he has not paid child support. If he does not provide a good reason, he can be found in contempt of court, which means he could be fined or even thrown in jail. The court can also charge interest based on how much is owed and how long the father has not paid.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More

Illinois HFS/DCSE

If you do not want to prosecute the case yourself, you can contact the Illinois Department of Healthcare and Family Services' Division of Child Support Enforcement. DCSE has the authority to pursue child support cases at the state and federal level, but cannot help you with custody, visitation or any matters other than child support. The DCSE can take a variety of actions, including intercepting the father's state and federal tax refunds, placing liens on his property, contracting private collection agencies to obtain the funds from him and recording his lack of payment on his credit report. Please note the DCSE does not actually prosecute any cases in court; the Illinois attorney general does that on the agency’s behalf.

Child Support Recovery Act

The Child Support Recovery Act is a federal law that makes it easier to recover delinquent child support from parents who live in different states from their children. Under the CSRA, it is against the law to have an unpaid obligation of more than $5,000 or to have not paid for more than a year. Furthermore, it is a felony for a parent to have an unpaid obligation of more than $10,000 or to have not paid for more than two years. The CSRA requires the parent to pay the entire outstanding amount in full as of the sentencing date. The DCSE can investigate such cases and the Illinois attorney general can prosecute those charges on the agency’s behalf.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
Rights for Fathers Paying Child Support


Related articles

What Happens When You Don't Pay Child Support in Illinois?

Every child has a right to receive care and support from her parents, and this parental responsibility doesn't end simply because a relationship or marriage ends. In Illinois, a non-custodial parent must financially contribute to the upbringing of his child by providing child support to the custodial parent. If he fails to do so, the custodial parent may seek help from Illinois' Division of Child Support Services, which pursues several remedies, including wage garnishment, property liens, revocation of licenses, interception of tax refunds and criminal prosecution.

How to File in the North Dakota Small Claims Court

If you're owed money and your case is not very complex, you may be able to file for a judgment in a North Dakota small claims court. The small claims court handles different types of cases that involve minor disputes and amounts of money under $10,000. Case types include landlord-tenant disputes, contract or payment disputes involving services or items, minor auto accidents and debt collection.

California Laws on the Interception of a Tax Refund for Child Support Arrears

If you have a child support order under California law, you have the right to have the order enforced through tax refund interception. Since 1993, California's Franchise Tax Board has had the authority to enforce child support orders through the interception of tax refunds due from the state as well as the Internal Revenue Service. This, along with other remedies, are available to the custodial parent if the non-custodial parent is not paying court-ordered child support or paying less than the amount ordered.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

Help With Receiving Unpaid Child Support in Texas

During divorces, Texas courts issue child-support orders to direct the noncustodial parent to pay a certain amount of ...

How to Enforce Divorce Judgments in Illinois

Your divorce decree governs many issues between you and your ex-spouse including child custody, child support, spousal ...

Alabama Collection & Distribution of Child Support

When two parents have children together but don't share a household, one parent often needs to provide financial ...

How to Get Back Child Support

One of the more difficult aspects of any divorce settlement is payment of child support by the non-custodial parent. In ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED