Can You Put a Divorce on Hold in California?

By Stephanie Reid

A divorce case is similar to any other civil proceeding in the state of California, and spouses can put the proceedings on hold if need be. Halting a civil proceeding is accomplished by making a motion to the court for a continuance, which the court has wide discretion to grant or deny. Spouses in a divorce proceeding may seek a continuance to try to reconcile the marriage or for other procedural reasons. In any event, the court attempts to make certain no party is seeking a continuance in bad faith or in an attempt to unnecessarily delay divorce proceedings.

Possibility of Reconciliation

The California courts will grant a continuance in a divorce proceeding if there appears to be a reasonable likelihood of reconciliation. In this event, the court will put the case on hold for up to 30 days. If necessary, the court will issue temporary orders relating to custody, child support, spousal support and visitation while the spouses determine if reconciliation is the best option for the family. Once the 30 days have passed, either spouse may motion the court to continue the divorce proceedings. If the spouses decide to reconcile and cancel the divorce, the party originally seeking the divorce must file a Request for Dismissal with the court.

Other Grounds for Continuance

Spouses engaged in divorce proceedings may motion the court for a continuance for other reasons besides the possibility of reconciliation. The court may grant a continuance in the event an important witness or expert is unavailable, a party to the action has died or fallen ill, either of the spouse's attorneys has died or fallen ill, or either spouse needs to change attorneys or add additional parties to the action. The court will also consider a continuance in the event there has been a sudden and unanticipated change in the status of the case or either spouse has been unable to obtain important evidence or testimony despite their best efforts.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More


The procedures required to file for a continuance vary from county to county. In general, one party must file a motion for continuance in the court where the divorce proceeding is pending. This consists of a form detailing the reasons for the continuance, date on which the spouse learned of these reasons and date the spouse believes he will be available to continue with the proceedings. The spouse not seeking a continuance may be required to submit a stipulation in some counties, which is a document stating the spouse is not opposed to the continuance.

Result of Continuance Motion

The courts hold wide discretion to grant or deny a motion for continuance. Common reasons that a court may deny a motion for continuance are that the spouse has received a continuance in the past or the reasons given for the continuance are not compelling enough to delay the proceedings. If the continuance is denied, spouses must continue with the case and trial date without the benefit of extra time. If the continuance is granted, the court will set a new date for the next hearing or trial and both spouses must appear on that date.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
Reasons Why a Divorce Can Be Postponed in Texas



Related articles

Can My Ex Delay Our Custody Hearing?

If you have a custody hearing scheduled before a court, the hearing will normally take place at the scheduled date and time. The only person who can delay the hearing is a judge. If your ex wants to delay the hearing, he will be able to only if the judge agrees the delay is appropriate.

Florida Divorce Law Grounds for Change of Venue

The decision of where to file for divorce may be based on convenience. In Florida, the filing spouse makes an initial election regarding which county to bring the action in, and the responding spouse is then provided a short period in which to object. Because it is possible for more than one county to meet the venue requirements, a Florida court must take into consideration the relative convenience and burdens imposed on all parties and witnesses in deciding whether to approve or deny a request for change of venue.

Can a Judge Make You Sign Divorce Papers?

In days gone by, both spouses had to agree to a divorce in order to end a marriage, but that is no longer the case. Either spouse acting alone may pursue a divorce, and a court may grant that divorce without the consent of the other party. Therefore, a judge has no reason to force a party to sign divorce papers.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

Florida Divorce Law for Change of Venue

Florida's laws of civil procedure address change of venue. These laws pertain to civil cases, including divorce cases. ...

What If the Respondent Refuses to Sign the Divorce Papers in Dallas County, Texas?

If you filed for divorce in Texas but the other party refuses to sign the final decree of divorce, you may set the case ...

Can a Person Ask for a Continuance Without a Lawyer During a Divorce Hearing in Virginia Law?

Rescheduling a divorce hearing can provide you with more time to prepare your case. In Virginia, a request to ...

How to Postpone a Divorce Court Day

Divorce hearings are scheduled at the court's convenience. However, judges have the discretion to push back a hearing ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED