Can I Reopen a Dismissed Divorce in California or Do I Need to Start All Over?

By Lauren Browne

If your divorce is dismissed in California, that means you must refile, unless the dismissal was caused by your or your attorney's mistake, inadvertence, surprise or excusable neglect. If your divorce was dismissed because of one of these four reasons, you may have the option to reopen your case rather than incurring potentially hundreds of dollars to file a new petition, pay a new filing fee, re-serve your spouse and prepare your documents for a second time.


California Code of Civil Procedure 473(b) states that the court may allow a party to reopen her case if the case was dismissed because of the party's or her attorney's “mistake, inadvertence, surprise or excusable neglect.” In order to reopen your divorce, you must first file a motion asking the court to reopen it. You are also required to file a declaration with your motion detailing the mistake you or your attorney made that caused the court to dismiss your divorce in the first place.

Mistakes and Neglect

Many mistakes can be made while a divorce is pending. You or your attorney could have failed to file a crucial document in the case. You could have failed to show up at a hearing at court because you were not given notice of it. You could have been sick in the hospital and unable to attend your trial. There are countless reasons why your case could have been dismissed, but so long as the court finds that your reason falls within the realm of “mistake, inadvertence, surprise or excusable neglect,” you may be able to reopen your case without incurring the costs of refiling a new divorce.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More

Time Limitations

There are two crucial time limitations of which you should be aware. First, you have only six months to file your motion after the date of the dismissal. Second, if you learned of the dismissal by being personally served with a notice of the dismissal, and the court made orders regarding your property, then you have only 90 days to file your motion. If you do not comply with these time limitations, the court will not reopen your case and you will have to start over.


While Section 473 is a great tool for parties and attorneys who find themselves in a bad situation, it is not foolproof. If your case was dismissed after you failed to show up to hearing after hearing, were warned by the court to attend trial, or just did not participate in the process in general, you likely will have to refile your case, pay a new filing fee, and start all over again.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
Motion to Reinstate a Divorce Complaint


Related articles

Can I Still Get a Divorce if My Spouse Does Not Show Up at the General Magistrate Hearing?

Participation of both spouses can help ensure the divorce process moves forward efficiently. Unlike other states, divorce hearings in Florida are often conducted by general magistrates and not judges. However, one spouse cannot prevent a marriage from being dissolved by the act of simply not attending a general magistrate hearing. Instead, depending on how the case was filed, the magistrate will either request the filing of a new petition or recommend to the presiding judge that a divorce is granted based solely on the testimony of the participating spouse.

Can a Divorce Be Denied?

Depending on your state’s laws, the state court can decline to grant your divorce, but it won’t deny a divorce simply because one spouse does not want it. To avoid denial, you must ensure that you fully comply with all of your court’s rules, and you must provide sufficient proof of whatever ground you are alleging in your divorce paperwork.

Can You Revoke a Sworn Affidavit in a Divorce Case?

The divorce process is riddled with occasions when you're asked to sign documents under oath. Most include language saying you’re attesting to the truth of your statements. Affidavits usually relate to motions - when you or your attorney ask a judge to decide an issue temporarily until your divorce is final. Your affidavit is the written presentation of the facts behind your request. Most states also require financial affidavits early on in a divorce. These contain information regarding your assets, income and budget to guide the court in making property and support decisions.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

How to Restart the Divorce Process in Michigan With Kids

You can either pause or stop your divorce action in Michigan if you change your mind about moving forward. If you ...

How Long Do You Have to File an Appeal for Divorce in Arizona?

If you can't reach an agreement with your spouse as to how to end your marriage, you run the risk of having a judge ...

Refiling Divorce Papers in PA

There are several steps involved in obtaining a divorce. In Pennsylvania, the dissolution process can vary, depending ...

How to Change Divorce Attorneys

Changing attorneys during a divorce is not uncommon. This may happen if you choose your first attorney in a hurry at ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED