Can Someone Take Guardianship if I Have Sole Legal Custody?

By Robin Elizabeth Margolis

If you have sole legal custody of your child, but you develop personal problems that create an unsafe home for him or you repeatedly violate the other parent's visitation rights, your child may be turned over to a permanent or temporary legal guardian.

Custody Loss Reasons

You can lose sole legal custody of your child for a wide variety of reasons, including abuse, abandonment or neglect. A court may also view you as an unfit parent if you develop untreated substance abuse problems or mental illness, engage in criminal conduct or consistently obstruct the other parent's visitation rights. A court will most likely transfer sole custody of your child to his other parent if the court decides that you are currently unable or unwilling to appropriately care for your child. However, if your child's other parent is also unable or unwilling to accept custody or is deceased, a court can give legal guardianship of your child to other family members or to an unrelated person. A legal guardian takes over your responsibilities for clothing, feeding, housing and schooling your child. A legal guardianship can be temporary or permanent.

Guardianship Types

A relative or unrelated person may request temporary guardianship of your child if you are experiencing instability due to situations such as substance abuse or mental illness. Ideally, the temporary guardianship arrangement would be based on the understanding that if you successfully complete a substance abuse recovery program or a treatment program for mental illness, custody of your child will be returned to you. Temporary guardianships usually last for periods of a few months to a year. Permanent legal guardianship is often sought in instances where there has been severe abuse, abandonment or neglect of your child and the court finds that your child cannot be safely returned to you. A permanent legal guardian will have custody and control of your child until he is 18 years old.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More

Guardianship Proceeding

Every state has its own complex laws governing the transfer of a minor child from parental custody to a legal guardian. Typically, a guardianship proceeding involves a relative of the minor or an unrelated person petitioning a court to be appointed temporary or permanent guardian of the child. The person who seeks to become your child's guardian will send you a legal notice by certified mail, alerting you that court guardianship proceedings have started.

Granting Guardianship

The court may order an investigation of you and your child by a state child welfare organization. The court will then hold a hearing on the guardianship petition. The person who wishes to become your child's legal guardian, you, possibly your child and your child's other parent, and other interested persons typically attend the hearing. You will have to explain why you think you should retain custody of your child. If a court finds that your child cannot be safely left in your care, a petition for temporary or permanent legal guardianship may be granted.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
Laws on the Transfer of Legal & Physical Custody to a Relative



Related articles

Legal Guardianship in Arizona

In Arizona, as in other states, an adult may obtain legal guardianship over a minor or an incapacitated adult with approval from a court. The person for whom a guardianship is established is known as the ward. Legal guardians have specific responsibilities including providing their wards with protection, support and care.

How Do Grandparents Get Custody of Their Grandchildren in South Carolina?

In certain limited circumstances, child custody can be awarded to grandparents. However, obtaining this arrangement in South Carolina is a difficult process, as the parents must first be deemed unfit and either voluntarily or involuntarily relinquish custody. The process begins with the filing of a motion, followed by a court hearing and the presentation of evidence that will lead the court to a decision on whether awarding custody to the grandparents is in the child's best interest.

Do You Have to Go to Court to Give Someone Power of Attorney Over a Minor?

When you create a power of attorney, you give someone else, known as your agent, authority to do something that you can do. You can give someone a power of attorney to take care of your minor child. For example, you can allow another person to seek medical care for your child while you are away. Since a power of attorney does not give any guardianship or other permanent rights, you do not have to go to court to obtain the document.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

Can You Give Up Legal Custody of Your Grandchildren?

One in ten of all American children now live with a grandparent, according to a 2010 Pew Research Center report. If you ...

Legal Guardianship of a Stepchild

As a stepparent, you provide emotional and financial care for your stepchild, but your stepchild's biological parents ...

Child Support Help for Men

If you are presently not living with the mother of your children, you may be dealing with child support issues. If you ...

Rights of a Sole Custodial Parent

Divorcing parents often fight hardest over child custody, and you may ask the court for sole custody of your child. ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED