Can Someone Have Sole Custody if the Other Parent Abandoned?

By Beverly Bird

In most states, sole custody means that you have both legal and physical custody of your child -- she lives with you full-time and you make all decisions regarding her upbringing, education and health. If her other parent abandons you -- and by extension, your child – this automatically gives you de facto custody, which means you’ve got custody in practice, if not by court order. You can use this to your advantage to gain sole custody in your divorce decree as well.

Abandonment as Divorce Grounds

Unless your state is a “pure” no-fault state, meaning that it does not recognize fault grounds at all, you can file for divorce based on abandonment or desertion. In doing so, you establish with the court that your spouse walked out on his child when the marriage ended, leaving you with full responsibility for raising her and caring for her. This will usually influence a judge’s custody decision when he grants your divorce, if you can establish that your spouse has had no contact with his child since he left. You can also file a motion asking for temporary custody as soon as you file for divorce, to further cement your de facto custody status. This order will pend until your divorce is final and the court creates a permanent custody order. Courts don’t like to uproot a child from one home to another without good cause simply because her parents are divorcing. The longer your child is in your care, the more likely it becomes that sole custody will be granted to you.

Divorce by Default

If your spouse has abandoned you and your child, it’s possible that he might not participate in the divorce process at all. He might not respond to your divorce petition or complaint when you arrange to have him served with it. Your spouse has a short period of time in which to file a response to your complaint with the court, usually less than a month. If he does nothing, you can ask the court to grant you a divorce by default. If you asked for sole custody in your divorce petition, you’ll invariably receive it when your divorce is final because your spouse has done nothing to contest it.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More

Custody Modifications

If your spouse abandons your child after your divorce is final, you also have recourse. For example, your divorce decree might award you joint custody, but after the litigation is over, your ex may not make any effort to communicate with your child or to exercise his right to parenting time. In this case, you can file a post-judgment motion with the court, asking the judge to change your joint custody order to one that gives you sole custody. If your ex has not maintained any contact at all with his child post-divorce, this will usually influence the judge. The situation should also be of some significant duration. For example, you’ll probably be more successful if he hasn’t contacted his child in a year or more than if you file for a custody modification after only a month or so.

Child Support

If your ex both disappears from his child’s life and refuses to pay child support, this is a criminal offense in some states. For example, Georgia will issue an abandonment warrant for his arrest if you ask for such relief after he has not financially provided for his child for a period of at least a month. Most jurisdictions also subscribe to the Uniform Interstate Family Support Act. So if your divorce decree includes a provision for child support and you think your ex may have left your state, courts in other states will help you look for him and enforce your child support order. You can usually include a request for enforcement of the child support provisions of your decree when you ask the court to modify custody.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
Can a Parent With Sole Custody Deny Visits?


Related articles

Can My Ex-Husband Stop Child Support If He Has the Kids While I'm Deployed?

If you were in the military at the time of your divorce, it's possible that your original custody and support orders address what happens in the event that you are deployed. If not, you typically have to return to court for new custody and support orders, and your ex-spouse must continue to pay child support until a new order is in place.

Grounds for Denying Visitation Rights

Although state courts are increasingly moving toward joint custody arrangements after divorce, the old standard of one parent having physical custody and the other having visitation still exists. This is particularly true while your divorce is still pending and if one parent has moved out of the marital home – judges don't like to upset a child's status quo unnecessarily, so the parent who moves out might end up with visitation rather than joint custody until the divorce is final. Under some circumstances, a court might deny visitation, but a custodial parent can't do so on her own.

Rights of a Sole Custodial Parent

Divorcing parents often fight hardest over child custody, and you may ask the court for sole custody of your child. Child custody laws vary somewhat by state, but courts have flexibility to divide custody in a way that is in the best interests of your child. If this means you receive sole custody, you will have more rights than if you shared custody with your ex-spouse.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

Liberal Visitation Rights

"Liberal" is one of those terms in divorce law that has no quantifiable meaning. It applies to the custody terms of ...

Who Has the Right to Custody During Noncustodial Visitation?

Custody trumps visitation. It is never changed or altered simply because a child is visiting with her non-custodial ...

The Father of My Child Has My Son & Won't Give Him to Me, and Neither of Us Have Custody

If you were never married to your child’s father, you probably have legal custody without realizing it, even if you ...

How to Calculate Custody Percentage

Some state courts calculate parenting time based on the number of overnights your child spends with you each year. ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED