What Can You Do When Your Spouse Refuses a Divorce Summons in Washington?

By Beverly Bird

No state allows a spouse to block the divorce process by refusing to accept service of the summons and petition. However, that doesn’t stop some spouses from trying. Like all other jurisdictions, Washington allows a petitioner to use alternate means of service when her spouse tries to dodge acceptance of her divorce papers. Service must be achieved so the court has legal jurisdiction over both spouses, but Washington offers several ways to accomplish this.

Washington Service Requirements

Washington’s rules for service of a divorce summons and petition are relatively lenient. The state’s code permits “abode service,” which means that the documents must only be delivered to a mentally competent adult at the spouse’s home; no one has to hand-deliver them to him personally. This rule does not apply to the spouse’s workplace, and the person delivering the papers may not be the spouse who filed for divorce; it has to be a third party.

Friends and Family Members

The critical factor in achieving service in Washington is that someone at your spouse’s residence must open the door. If his doorbell rings and he looks through the door’s peephole to see the sheriff there, he might figure out that the officer is trying to deliver a divorce summons, so he might not open the door. However, you’re not obligated to use the county sheriff. You can ask any adult to deliver your summons or petition for you. If your spouse is suspicious, he might not open the door for one of your family members, but you can ask a friend he doesn’t know. All he has to do is open the door when this person knocks or rings the bell. He doesn’t actually have to take the papers from your friend’s hand. She can state, “You’ve been served with divorce papers,” and simply leave them on his doorstep if he tries to close the door. Your friend would have to sign a proof of service, attesting that she did this, which you must file with the court.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More

Process Server

If you don’t want to involve a friend in such a touchy procedure, Washington allows you to hire a private process server to deliver your summons and petition. A process server has experience in serving papers on reluctant spouses and probably has a whole host of tricks up his sleeve to get the job done. Unlike the county sheriff, he won’t wear a uniform that might tip off your spouse. You’re paying him for his time, so he’ll dedicate the hours necessary to tracking your spouse down and officially serving your papers through abode or personal service, even if he has to catch up with your spouse in a restaurant or parking lot. A professional process server will also provide you with a proof of service when he’s completed the job, which you can file with the court.

Alternate Means of Service

Few spouses manage to elude service in Washington forever; the state’s abode service provisions and litigants’ rights to use professional process servers make this difficult. However, if your spouse is exceptionally determined and you simply can’t serve him in any other way, you can file a motion with the court asking to serve him either by mail or publication. You’ll have to document all your efforts to have the papers delivered and what your spouse did each time to avoid service. If you can prove this “due diligence” on your part, the court will allow you to use an alternate means of service and get on with your divorce.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
Texas Divorce Laws When a Respondent Cannot Be Located


Related articles

Do Divorce Papers Expire if Not Served?

Divorce involves an intricate series of rules -- and many of them come with deadlines. Service of process is one such rule. Your spouse has a right to defend himself in the divorce action, so you must serve your divorce papers on him according to the laws of your state. There's usually a deadline by which you must do so, but it can vary depending on where you live.

How Soon Can I Get a Divorce After a Spouse is Served in Texas?

As in most states, how quickly you can get a Texas divorce depends on how complicated your divorce is, not how much time passes after you serve your spouse with the necessary divorce paperwork. Texas imposes a waiting period, but if you and your spouse have no property or children, or if you agree on every aspect of how you're going to end your marriage, you could be divorced a day after the waiting period ends. If you can't reach an agreement, your divorce will take much longer.

What if My Wife in New York State Refuses to Divorce Me?

Until 2010, if you lived in New York and your wife refused to divorce you, she could have complicated the situation considerably by contesting your grounds. This changed when the state adopted the concept of no-fault divorce. Now you need only tell the court that your marriage isn't working out anymore – and your wife can't stop the proceedings. However, that might not stop her from trying.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

What Are the Rules for Serving Divorce Papers?

Simply filing a complaint or petition isn’t enough to begin the process of getting divorced. The court can’t make ...

Louisiana Laws for Serving Divorce Papers

Divorce is rarely an easy process. Louisiana law streamlines it in some ways and complicates it in others. After you ...

How to Serve Military Personnel With Divorce Papers

Military courts cannot grant divorces, so military couples must get divorced in state courts following the same basic ...

Is it Normal for the Sheriff to Come to the Home to Present the Divorce Papers?

A divorce can't move forward until the spouse who filed arranges to have the other spouse officially served with the ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED