Can I Stay in the US if I Get Divorced but Am Not a Citizen?

By Ciele Edwards

One route immigrants can take to obtain citizenship in the United States is to marry a U.S. citizen. After getting married, the immigrant has the right to apply for permanent residency and, ultimately, citizenship. Depending on your current immigration status, getting divorced during the application process could threaten your ability to remain in the U.S.

Permanent Residency

A permanent resident is an non-citizen who holds a U.S. green card. According to United States Citizenship and Immigration Services, permanent residents enjoy most of the same rights and responsibilities that U.S. citizens do – including the right to live where they wish and pursue the career of their choice. A permanent resident who is married to a U.S. citizen does not lose his residency when he gets divorced. This is true even if USCIS originally awarded him permanent residency based on his marriage to a U.S. citizen.

Pending Applications

Immigrants can apply for permanent residency by filing an adjustment of status request with USCIS. If an individual's permanent residency application is based on her marriage and she gets a divorce before she receives her green card, she cannot remain in the U.S. Marrying a U.S. citizen, however, is not the only way to become eligible for permanent residency and citizenship. If an immigrant's pending permanent residency application is based on his employment in the U.S. rather than his marriage, getting divorced does not affect the application process.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More

Visa Status

Every immigrant that travels to the U.S. legally does so using a visa. The visa stipulates how long the immigrant can remain in the U.S. Once the visa expires, the individual no longer has permission to remain in the country. When an immigrant submits an application for permanent residency, his status changes to that of an applicant and his previous visa status no longer applies. Although this is beneficial to those who arrived in the U.S. under short-term visas, it leaves an immigrant without a valid visa should USCIS deny his application. USCIS will deny a marriage-based permanent residency application if the couple divorces. The immigrant is then left without permanent residency or a valid visa and must leave the country.

Overstaying a Visa

USCIS uses an automated border system to keep track of all arrivals and departures. If an immigrant does not immediately leave the country when her visa expires, USCIS will flag her in the system. Flagged individuals face a variety of consequences, such as being banned from the U.S. for ten years or being banned from ever submitting a permanent residency application.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
Can You File for Citizenship if You Get Divorced?



Related articles

Can a Wife Be Deported if She Filed for Divorce?

Non-citizens can get a quick path to United States citizenship by marrying a U.S. citizen, but those marriages don't always work out. Whether it's because the marriage began as a sham or developed problems along the way, divorces can have citizenship implications. Depending on how long the spouses were married and what type of residence the non-citizen spouse has, she could face deportation upon divorce.

What Happens if I Divorce My Sponsored Non-Citizen?

If you sponsored a non-citizen for permanent residence in the United States, his immigration status depends on his marriage to you. This does not necessarily mean, however, that divorcing him will result in deportation or other unfavorable immigration consequences. Whether or not your spouse faces adverse immigration consequences after a divorce depends on the timing of the divorce, whether or not U.S. immigration authorities learn of the divorce, and whether or not the divorce leads them to conclude the marriage was illegitimate.

What Happens if I Get Divorced After I Submit My Permanent Residency?

U.S. immigration law allows U.S. citizens and permanent residents to sponsor their non-citizen spouses for permanent residency in the U.S. If you filed a permanent residency petition and your spouse is divorcing you, a divorce may or may not threaten your right to remain in the U.S. The immigration consequences of a divorce depend on the timing of the divorce, length of marriage and circumstances surrounding the marriage.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

Can Permanent Residency Be Revoked After a Divorce?

Immigrants who arrive in the United States on a visa can only remain in this country for the period of time noted in ...

If You Divorce a Permanent Resident Do They Get Deported?

Foreign citizens with a valid visa are free to visit, work, live and seek an education in the United States on a ...

Can You Divorce & Remarry Without a Green Card?

Green card holders have permanent resident status in the U.S. and can remain in the country indefinitely without a ...

Can a Canadian Legally Marry an American Citizen in America?

Federal immigration and visa law covers marriages to foreign nationals within the United States. As citizens of a ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED