Can I Still Get a Divorce if My Spouse Does Not Show Up at the General Magistrate Hearing?

By Wayne Thomas

Participation of both spouses can help ensure the divorce process moves forward efficiently. Unlike other states, divorce hearings in Florida are often conducted by general magistrates and not judges. However, one spouse cannot prevent a marriage from being dissolved by the act of simply not attending a general magistrate hearing. Instead, depending on how the case was filed, the magistrate will either request the filing of a new petition or recommend to the presiding judge that a divorce is granted based solely on the testimony of the participating spouse.

Overview of Magistrates

In Florida, general magistrates are used to take some of the workload off of judges. The magistrate is an attorney appointed by the court to conduct a divorce hearing. After hearing all of the evidence, the magistrate issues a report to the presiding judge with specific findings of fact and recommendations on how the judge should rule. The judge will then review the report and issue a court order incorporating the findings made by the magistrate.


If a spouse fails to respond after receiving notice of a divorce action, the other spouse may request a divorce by default in Florida. A default means that your spouse waived his right to participate in the divorce by not responding in time. A default generally allows you to schedule an earlier hearing with the magistrate than if your spouse had responded to your petition. To qualify, you must first serve the divorce paperwork on the other party through the sheriff's office and wait 20 days for a written response. If your spouse does not respond in time, you may then file a motion for default and a default judgment form with the court. After the court enters the default, you will be asked to schedule a final hearing with the magistrate. At the hearing, the magistrate will hear only your side of the story and forward her findings to a judge for issuance of the final divorce decree.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More

Uncontested Divorce

In Florida, if the divorce was filed as an uncontested divorce, only the filing spouse is required to attend the hearing. An uncontested divorce means the parties are in agreement on every aspect of the divorce, which requires the other spouse to file an answer to the petition in addition to the marital settlement agreement submitted on behalf of both spouses. The marital settlement agreement is a binding contract that establishes to the court that the parties have come to voluntary agreement on all issues related to the divorce, such as property division and support.

Simplified Divorce

If the matter was filed as a simplified divorce, both spouses must attend the hearing. A simplified divorce is a faster type of uncontested divorce for couples without children who are willing to waive their rights to spousal support and a trial. A simplified divorce does not require a marital settlement agreement, so attendance at the final hearing is mandatory to ensure both parties understand their rights and obligations. If your spouse fails to show up, the court will not grant you a divorce and you must start the process over by filing a regular petition for divorce.

Contested Divorce

If your spouse has filed a response to the petition but the two of you cannot reach an agreement, the divorce must proceed as contested. Your spouse's participation at the final hearing is considered mandatory, but if he refuses to attend, his absence will not prevent the court from issuing a divorce decree based on your testimony. Because this decision could result in a ruling unfavorable to the absent spouse, the court will usually grant him a continuance if he provides a legitimate reason for his absence in a timely manner. For example, if your spouse was involved in a car accident on the way to the hearing, after informing the court as soon as possible, this reason is likely to be considered grounds for postponement.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
Can a Person Ask for a Continuance Without a Lawyer During a Divorce Hearing in Virginia Law?


Related articles

How Can a Petitioner Drop a Divorce?

If you file for divorce and later change your mind, you can ask the court to drop the case. The legal term for this action is "dismissing" your petition for divorce before it is finalized. The procedure for dismissal will depend on your state's laws as well as your spouse's response to the request. Since filing for divorce does not change your marital status, the effect of a dismissal is simply a removal of the case from the court's docket.

90 Day Cooling Off Period for a Divorce in Pennsylvania

Pennsylvania requires a 90-day "cooling off" period for no-fault or "mutual consent" divorces, which provides an estranged couple the opportunity to resolve existing differences and salvage the marriage. If the husband and wife cannot resolve their disagreements in that time period, in most cases, a divorce decree can be issued by the court.

Can You Contest a Divorce in Florida Without a Lawyer?

Sometimes a divorcing couple can only agree on one thing: that they want a divorce. In Florida, if you and your spouse fail to reach common ground on the terms of your divorce, the matter is referred to as "contested." Contested divorces can include a trial and involve more legal formalities than uncontested divorces. For that reason, hiring an attorney, while not required, can be helpful to make sure that you comply with the many procedural rules.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

Divorce Sequence of Events

Although the specific details of the divorce process vary among states, the basic framework is virtually identical. Not ...

How to File for Divorce in New Mexico When a Spouse Won't Sign

No matter his reason, your spouse cannot legally force you to stay married in New Mexico. Some spouses will not sign an ...

Order of Referral to Magistrate in the Dissolution of a Marriage

Getting a marriage dissolved is not something that can be accomplished overnight. Even if you and your spouse are in ...

Does the Plaintiff Have to Show Up in a Divorce?

State laws regarding divorce often differ significantly. Further, rules on who must attend hearings vary based on the ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED