Can You Stop a Chapter 13 Dismissal for Late Payments to the Trustee?

By Patricia Dzikowski

Under a Chapter 13 repayment plan, you make regular payments to the bankruptcy trustee over three to five years. This enables you to satisfy your creditors over time and, in most cases, keep everything you own. Missing payments or making late payments can result in the dismissal of your case and loss of bankruptcy court protection. If circumstances cause you to fall behind or make your payments late, you can take steps to make it less likely that your case will be dismissed.


The effect of an order dismissing your Chapter 13 case can be devastating. Under Chapter 13, you can use the bankruptcy laws to remove a second mortgage from your home or reduce a mortgage on a rental property, thereby lowering your monthly payments on these obligations. You can also remove liens from your property and reduce or stretch out payments on car loans. Dismissal or conversion to Chapter 7 will undo these benefits. Your payments will return to pre-bankruptcy levels, or they may increase if additional interest accrued during the failed Chapter 13. Creditors can resume collection activity, including foreclosure, repossession, lawsuits and garnishment. You may need to make some changes to avoid this situation.

Income Deductions

You can have Chapter 13 payments made via income deductions. Under an income deduction order, your employer is required to deduct your payment from your paycheck and submit it to the trustee. This helps keep payments timely and ensures that you will not find yourself short when payment is due. Unlike garnishments, Chapter 13 income deductions are considered voluntary. If you are under an income deduction order and your employer is not submitting payments on time, you can prevent your case from dismissal by providing the trustee with pay stubs to show that the funds are being properly deducted. If you are not under an income deduction order and your payments are falling behind, you may be able to avoid dismissal by agreeing to begin income deductions.

Get a free, confidential bankruptcy evaluation. Learn More

Plan Modification

Making late payments to the trustee may be a sign that you are not able to afford to continue under your current plan. If your financial circumstances have changed, it may be possible to modify the terms of your plan. Modification is not required when your income decreases or your expenses increase, but it may be necessary to prevent your case from dismissal. Plan modification can also help you catch up on your payments if you have fallen behind -- even if your overall financial circumstances have not changed. To modify, you will need to file a motion with the court explaining your circumstances and provide a copy of your proposed modified plan. Creditors have a new time period to object. Your modified plan must comply with the law and only goes into effect if the court approves it.

Hardship Discharge

If you find yourself in an especially dire situation, it may be possible to obtain a hardship discharge without completing your Chapter 13 plan. To be eligible, the failure to complete your plan must be due to circumstances that cannot fairly be considered your fault, the situation cannot be fixed by a plan modification, and your creditors have already received at least as much as they would have received if you had filed a Chapter 7 rather than Chapter 13. Hardship discharges are, however, difficult to obtain and, like dismissal and conversion to Chapter 7, are unlikely to preserve mortgage benefits gained through Chapter 13. They may also provide less protection than a Chapter 7 discharge in that your personal obligation on secured debt, including mortgages, may not be discharged (depending on the terms of your confirmed plan). Under these circumstances, converting your case to Chapter 7 may be the better option. It is best to consult an attorney for a complete review.

Get a free, confidential bankruptcy evaluation. Learn More
Will a Post-Bankruptcy Car Payoff Show on My Credit Report?


Related articles

Is a 401(k) Contribution a Legitimate Expense in Bankruptcy?

By the time you file for Chapter 13 bankruptcy protection, you may be on the verge of discontinuing contributions to your 401(k) retirement account in order to make your credit card payments. However, after submitting your bankruptcy petition, you may be permitted to continue making reasonable contributions to your 401(k) retirement account so you can plan for your financial security after emerging from bankruptcy.

How to Reduce Your Mortgage in a Chapter 13

When people file for Chapter 13 bankruptcy, their debts typically exceed their monthly income and they can no longer pay their mortgage and other bills. Fortunately, in filing for bankruptcy protection, consumers can reorganize and pay down their debts and possibly reduce their overall mortgage liability.

What Happens When Chapter 13 Is Dismissed?

Chapter 13 bankruptcy allows you to create a three- to five-year repayment plan to catch up on your debts. If your case is dismissed, either by you or the bankruptcy court, prior to completion of the repayment plan, you will not receive a bankruptcy discharge, which erases the debts covered by your bankruptcy case and makes them unenforceable by your creditors.

Related articles

Options When a Trustee Files a Motion to Dismiss a Chapter 13

A Chapter 13 bankruptcy case protects you from creditor collection actions and lawsuits, while it offers a plan to ...

Defaulting on Chapter 13

Chapter 13 is called a wage earner's bankruptcy for a reason -- you need enough disposable income each month after ...

How to Reduce the Payments to the Court Trustee in a Bankruptcy

When you file for Chapter 13 bankruptcy, you commit to a plan for repayment of your creditors that is overseen by a ...

Can I File for Chapter 13 If My Chapter Seven Is Dismissed?

You can file a Chapter 13 bankruptcy after your Chapter 7 is dismissed, but it cannot be done right away. You may also ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED