Can I Sue My Stepmother for a Copy of My Father's Will?

By Robin Elizabeth Margolis

If your father is alive, you cannot sue your stepmother for a copy of his will. If your father has died and your stepmother won't give you a copy of his will, you can write your stepmother a letter formally asking for a copy. If she does not respond, you can start legal proceedings with the probate court in your father's geographic area asking the court to order her to produce the will and submit it to the court. You can then obtain a copy of the will from the court.


A British law, the Larceny Act of 1861, stated that anyone who stole, destroyed or concealed a will during a testator's lifetime or after his death could be sent to jail for a term lasting from two years to life. In that same era, American states began developing laws creating various penalties for executors and heirs who did not produce a will for probate, including losing executorship and other rights under the will.

Current State Laws

Although state probate laws differ from one state to the next, they each have provisions in their statutes that address when a person in possession of a will neglects or refuses to produce the will for the local probate court. In such cases, the probate court can, upon receiving a petition from you, order that person to produce the will or face being sent to jail.

Protect your loved ones. Start My Estate Plan

First Steps

Your first step is to contact the local probate court in your father's geographic area and ask if a copy of his will was filed there before or after his death. If the will was filed with the probate court, ask the court to give you a copy. If no copy of the will has been filed, send your stepmother a polite, signed and dated letter asking her to give you a copy of the will. Keep a copy of the letter for your records. You may wish to send the letter by certified mail to ensure that you have a record of having sent the letter.

Demand to Produce Will

If your stepmother ignores your letter or refuses to send you a copy of the will, you can send her a second legal letter, usually titled "Demand to Produce Will." In the second letter, identify yourself as an heir of your father, state that you have not received a copy of the will as you requested, insist that none of your father's property be sold or given away until the will has been submitted to a probate court, and ask again for a copy of the will. Send the letter by certified mail and keep a copy of the letter for your files.


If you receive no reply to your second letter or your stepmother refuses your request, you can then contact the probate court and petition the court to compel your stepmother to file the will with the court. Petitioning the court to order your stepmother to produce the will starts a civil suit. Most trust and estate attorneys recommend that you hire a lawyer to conduct the case because probate law is complex. You also need to keep in mind that your state may have a statute of limitations, giving you just a few years in which to file the case, and if you do not start legal proceedings within that time period, you may not be able to compel your stepmother to produce your father's will.

Protect your loved ones. Start My Estate Plan
What Do You File When the Executor Refuses to Open Up an Estate?



Related articles

What do You Do if You Can't Find a Will for a Deceased Relative?

Sometimes a testator neglects to tell her loved ones or the will's executor where to find her will in the event of her death. This can leave heirs and beneficiaries in a difficult position at a time when they are already grieving. Some states, like Texas, have provisions written into their statutes to address the issue of being unable to locate a will. Even then, the outcome may depend on whether or not you’ve been able to find a copy or if no indication of the testator’s last wishes exists at all.

Can I Make My Siblings Include Me on a Mother's Estate?

Your siblings usually can't prevent you from sharing in your mother's estate. State laws give you a share of your mother's estate unless she specifically disinherited you in her will. Even if she disinherited you, you may challenge the will in court. Your share of your mother's estate depends on the laws of your state and whether your mother left a will.

How to Ask the Executor for a Copy of the Will

An executor is the administrator of the estate of a deceased who is in charge of steering a last will and testament through probate. Her responsibility begins at the testator's death, and among her first duties is filing a petition for probate in the appropriate county. The will -- the testator's written description of how he wishes his estate distributed -- is a private document up until the date of death. Once the will is filed in probate, no confidentiality concerns impede an executor from providing will copies to interested parties.

LegalZoom. Legal help is here. Start Here. Wills. Trusts. Attorney help. Wills & Trusts

Related articles

What Do I Do With His Will if My Dad Passed Away?

When parents pass away, and leave behind a last will and testament, their heirs must navigate the often-complex process ...

Can You Get a Copy of a Will Before Someone Dies?

A will is not actually permanent until its writer, called a testator, dies. Thus, while a testator can allow others to ...

Advice on Contesting Wills

A will contest or a will challenge is a court case brought to dispute the validity of a will, according to FindLaw. In ...

How to Write a Letter to Claim a Deceased Relative's Estate

What happens when you know are an heir of an estate but aren't included in the will? This can happen if the deceased ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED