Can a Third Party in Virginia Be Held in a Divorce Case in an Extramarital Affair?

By Cindy Chung

If an extramarital affair leads to divorce, the jilted spouse might want to know whether Virginia laws provide a way to sue the third party, or the person involved in the affair with her spouse. Although adultery may become relevant to a divorce case, state law does not allow a spouse to sue the third party as part of the divorce proceedings.

Divorce Case and a Third Party

Virginia recognizes two types of divorce: "divorce from bed and board" and "divorce from the bond of matrimony." To obtain a divorce from the bond of matrimony, a complete and absolute divorce that allows former spouses to remarry, the spouse filing for divorce, or both spouses, must demonstrate at least one of the divorce grounds permitted by state law. Although spouses can establish a no-fault divorce by living separately and apart, a husband or wife can also request a divorce from the bond of matrimony by alleging the other spouse's adultery. While an extramarital affair may serve as grounds for divorce under state law, the divorce is a legal action between the husband and wife only; the jilted spouse generally cannot bring in the third party as a party to the divorce case.

Alienation of Affection Lawsuit

Although a divorce case involves only two parties — the husband and wife — some states do allow a spouse to file a separate lawsuit against the third party involved in the extramarital affair. Based in tort law, an alienation of affection lawsuit allows a jilted spouse to file a civil action against the third party for interference with the marriage. However, only a few states currently permit alienation of affection lawsuits; Virginia is not one of those states.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More

Current Virginia Law on Alienation of Affection Lawsuits

At one time, Virginia allowed spouses to file alienation of affection lawsuits against third parties, but the state no longer permits civil actions in response to adultery. The Virginia General Assembly enacted a state law specifically prohibiting alienation of affection lawsuits based on acts arising or occurring after June 28, 1968. The same state law also eliminates the right to file a lawsuit based on a third party's seduction of a spouse arising or occurring after July 1, 1974. Accordingly, a recent extramarital affair is unlikely to result in an alienation of alienation lawsuit that would meet the timing requirement set by state law.

Lawsuit for Intentional Infliction of Emotional Distress

A tort lawsuit is a legal action separate from a couple's divorce case. Some states permit tort lawsuits filed against third parties for the intentional infliction of emotional distress based on their participation in extramarital affairs. However, Virginia state laws currently do not allow a jilted spouse to file a tort lawsuit against the third party in an extramarital affair. In the 2000 case of McDermott v. Reynolds, the Supreme Court of Virginia held that the statute prohibiting alienation of affection lawsuits also bars lawsuits against third parties for the intentional infliction of emotional distress.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
Legal Actions for Adultery



Related articles

How to Get Divorced From Someone in Prison in Georgia

To divorce a spouse who is currently in prison, a husband or wife must follow the divorce laws and civil procedure laws of Georgia. The general requirements to divorce an incarcerated spouse are the same as the requirements to divorce a spouse who is not in prison. However, incarceration may affect court location and the process of serving divorce papers on the other spouse. In addition, incarceration can impact custody rights decided during a divorce.

The Code of West Virginia Regarding the Grounds for Divorce

West Virginia offers both fault and no-fault grounds for divorce. If the parties agree on the divorce, or one spouse can prove abuse or adultery, the marriage can usually be dissolved without delay. Other grounds, such as separation and desertion, require the parties to complete a waiting period defined by law. Regardless of the grounds for divorce, the existence of marital misconduct may be considered by the court as part of spousal support and custody proceedings in West Virginia.

How to Divorce if Your Spouse Abandons the Relationship in Washington

Spousal abandonment can be a difficult experience for the husband or wife left behind. An abandoned spouse might choose to file for divorce in Washington State and resolve the couple's legal and financial issues before moving on. Although the state does not specifically recognize abandonment as grounds for ending a marriage, the abandoned spouse can still file for divorce. In addition, spousal abandonment might become the basis of a criminal charge against the spouse who left.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

Legal Remedy for an Abandoned Spouse

Abandonment by a spouse can be a stressful experience, especially if the abandonment causes financial strain or legal ...

Is the Absence of Sexual Relations Grounds for Divorce?

Sexual behavior outside the marriage and the lack of sexual relations within the marriage can serve as grounds for ...

Can You Take Your Spouse to Court if You Are Still Married?

Disputes in a marriage can lead to divorce court or, by individual state laws, to another kind of civil court. States ...

Separation Rights and Abandonment in Vermont

When a husband or wife chooses to leave the marital home, the abandoned spouse often faces financial worries or legal ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED