How to Change Alimony Payments So They Are Paid Through a Court

By Cindy Chung

If you have a court order to receive alimony, your ex-spouse must pay regular support as required by the court. If you stop receiving the payments, you may need to ask for court enforcement. State courts can often require the direct payment of alimony through wage garnishment. If a court issues a wage garnishment order, the employer must withdraw the alimony payment from the employee's paychecks for payment to the ex-spouse who receives alimony. The process of changing your existing court order to include wage garnishment depends on the alimony laws and procedures of your own state.

Step 1

Research the laws of your state to determine the required procedures for changing an existing court order. Some states refer to this process as a modification. Alternatively, research the relevant state laws regarding enforcement of an alimony order if your state handles wage garnishment as an enforcement matter rather than as a modification.

Step 2

If your state's alimony laws require a judgment confirming unpaid, court-ordered alimony before you can request enforcement measures, obtain and prepare the required forms and deliver them to your state court . The titles of the required forms vary according to the terminology used by your state. In some states, for example, you must file an "Order to Show Cause" form.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More

Step 3

Ask the court to require wage garnishment for the payment of alimony after you have obtained a judgment showing your ex-spouse owes arrears, i.e. past due payments, to you. Fill out the court form to request wage garnishment if your state requires one.

Step 4

Alternatively, obtain the court forms to request a modification of your existing order for alimony if your state does not first require a judgment of arrears. Ask the court to change your court order to require wage garnishment from the paying party's paychecks. Explain the arrears and other circumstances that have caused you to request the wage garnishment.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
Laws for Breaching Divorce Orders in Oregon


Related articles

How to Reverse a Sole Custody Order in Missouri

Provided the existence of certain conditions, a parent can be successful in reversing a sole custody order in the state of Missouri. An important first step in the process is understanding the difference between legal and physical custody, and that modifications of existing arrangements require a showing of new facts coming to light after the original order. Notice must be provided to the other parent, and if the parties cannot agree on a parenting plan, the judge will rule in favor of the modification if it is in the best interest of the child.

Alimony Laws in Kansas

Alimony, also called spousal support, may be awarded during a divorce proceeding in Kansas. Alimony is paid by one spouse to the other when the receiving spouse has neither a sufficient income nor sufficient assets to be self-supporting when the marriage ends. The Kansas Revised Statutes set forth the types of alimony available, duration of payments and when alimony can be modified or terminated.

How to Legally Change a Name in Tennessee

In Tennessee, it is a fairly uncomplicated process to legally change your name. If you prefer a name other than the one you were born with, you can apply to your local county clerk for a name change. The Tennessee Code outlines the rules for name changes in the state.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

How to Collect Unpaid Alimony in California

A divorce case in California may include an order for spousal support, also known as alimony. Although alimony is not ...

Alabama's State Laws on Child Support Payments

Alabama law requires a court order to establish child support payments. Depending on the facts of your case and whether ...

What Happens if I Do Not Pay a Court Judgment in a Divorce Case?

When the court finalizes your divorce, it provides you a copy of the final court ruling detailing the division of ...

My Ex-Husband Isn't Paying the Full Amount for Back Child Support in Illinois

If you have children in your custody, your divorce decree likely included a child support order whereby your ex-husband ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED