How to Change Articles of Incorporation

By Marie Murdock

Articles of incorporation is the official document that forms a corporation. The articles are usually filed in the office of the secretary of state where the corporation is formed. This document establishes the corporation’s official name and generally recites the purpose for which it is being formed, its duration, number of shares of stock allocated, as well as the names of the initial board of directors and registered agent, and the incorporator’s names and addresses. When the name of the corporation is changed, its registered agent replaced or other pertinent revisions occur, an amendment is filed with the secretary of state to reflect those changes.

Step 1

Schedule a meeting of the board of directors to address the proposed change. The written bylaws for the corporation establish policies and procedures, including the internal procedure required to amend the articles of incorporation.

Step 2

Enact voting at the meeting that results in approval to amend the articles. An individual may vote in person or by proxy. Voting by proxy authorizes one person to vote another’s shares. The bylaws generally establish what constitutes a quorum, or the number of shareholders or board members whose votes are required for changes to be enacted. The bylaws may state which changes may be enacted by the board alone, which may require a super-majority of the board or a majority vote of the shareholders.

Ready to incorporate your business? Get Started Now

Step 3

Prepare the amendment to the articles of incorporation. Most secretary of state websites have blank forms that you can complete, which cover most types of changes. As long as an amendment complies with state requirements, a freehand version may be used.

Step 4

File the amendment with the secretary of state in the state where the business is formed, either by mail or in person. Generally, this is true for most states. Pay the filing fees, which generally vary from state to state.

Step 5

Attach the original amendment that has been filed and stamped to the original articles of incorporation. Original corporate documents, along with the corporate seal, are often kept in a book or file by the secretary or other authorized officer or director. A title company, attorney or other business professional may request verification of corporate existence, as well as other pertinent information contained within the articles and amendment. Requesting parties will usually accept file-stamped photocopies or certified copies of the documents in lieu of originals.

Ready to incorporate your business? Get Started Now
How to Remove an Officer From Articles of Incorporation



Related articles

How to Amend Articles of Incorporation to Restrict Stock

Restricted stock is a type of corporate stock that is characterized by restrictions on the owner’s ability to transfer it to another party. It is often offered by corporations to their employees as part of their benefits package, although its use is not limited to this purpose. Before a corporation is legally entitled to issue a new type of stock, however, it must amend its Articles of Incorporation. Amending the Articles of Incorporation requires prior authorization and compliance with appropriate procedures.

How to Change an LLC Filing as an S Corp to a Sole Proprietor

A limited liability company, or LLC, is a business structure defined by state law which protects its members from personal liability for company activity and involves a less complicated operational structure than a corporation. The IRS requires an LLC to elect tax treatment as an S corporation, traditional corporation, partnership or sole proprietorship. If you originally elected S corporation tax treatment and decide to change that election to sole proprietorship, you must withdraw your original election and submit a new one. Sole proprietorship election for an LLC is reserved for companies with only one owner-member.

How to Develop a Charter & Bylaws for a New Organization

Starting a new business can be an exciting adventure. At the same time, you must address many important formalities at the outset of operations to ensure that your business both complies with the law and runs smoothly. If you decide to form a corporation, having a properly drafted charter and bylaws will help put your company on the path to success.

LLCs, Corporations, Patents, Attorney Help Incorporation

Related articles

Difference Between Amended & Restated Bylaws

Bylaws are rules adopted by an organization such as a corporation or association to govern how its business is ...

How to Amend a Corporation

Ideally, businesses should be set up so they don’t change very often since changing a business’s structure or other ...

How to Amend and Restate a Certificate of Incorporation in Delaware

Many states now use the Internet to provide resources to business owners, making it easier for them to complete ...

How to Amend a Constitution & Bylaws of a Corporation

Corporations are independent legal business entities that operate subject to a series of rules. While corporations do ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED