How to Change Divorce Attorneys

By Lisa Magloff

Changing attorneys during a divorce is not uncommon. This may happen if you choose your first attorney in a hurry at the beginning of the divorce, then realize you do not have a good rapport with that attorney. It can also happen when there is a conflict of interest, or when you feel your attorney is not doing all he can for you. It is your right to change attorneys, but you must make sure that you do not compromise your case while you are changing attorneys.

Step 1

Retain a new divorce attorney. You need to do this before you end your relationship with your existing attorney in order to make sure you are not without legal representation. Sign a contract with your new attorney. Inform your new attorney of any upcoming hearing dates and filing deadlines.

Step 2

End your relationship with your existing divorce attorney. You can do this in writing or in person, but even if you are dismissing your attorney in person, you should also write a letter of termination. The letter should clearly state the date you wish to terminate your professional relationship and should give the name and contact details of your new attorney. You should also request in writing that all of your case materials be sent to your new lawyer by a certain date. In some cases, your new attorney may do all this for you.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More

Step 3

Ask for copies of all outstanding bills from your current attorney. If you paid an initial retainer, verify your balance and ask for the date when you will receive the balance.

Step 4

Request that a copy of your client file be sent to your new attorney. You may be charged a fee for this. Make sure your new attorney received this file and also that she has copies of any other documents related to your case that you may have at home. Be aware that your previous attorney only needs to supply documents that have already been filed with the court, documents you supplied or discovery documents. Your new attorney may make this request for you.

Step 5

Ask your new attorney to file an "Entry of Appearanceā€ document with the court handling your case. This is the official notification to the court that you have changed divorce attorneys and will allow your new lawyer to represent you. If you are using a mediator, she will also need to receive a copy of this document. Your spouse's lawyer will also need to be sent a copy of the document.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
How to Fire Your Divorce Lawyer


Related articles

How to Change an Uncontested Divorce to a Contested Divorce in California

Divorces in California fall under one of two categories: contested and uncontested. In an uncontested divorce, the husband and wife are not fighting over any issues. A contested divorce, on the other hand, may have one or more sticking points that require discussion, mediation or a decision from the judge. Sometimes, these disagreements become apparent once a party has already filed for an uncontested divorce with the court. California permits either party to change an uncontested divorce to a contested one.

How to Revoke a Contingency Fee Contract & a Power of Attorney

Generally, a grantor may revoke a contingency fee contract and a standard power of attorney at anytime. These types of agreements allow for immediate and direct revocation by providing notice to the affected parties. If a court mandated that you are incompetent and granted power of attorney over you to a third party, you will have a much more difficult time revoking a contingency fee agreement and a power of attorney agreement unless you can persuade the same court that you are competent.

Legal Name Change Options

There are a number of reasons people change their name, including unifying a family, getting married or starting fresh with a new self image. It is illegal to change your name to avoid debt collectors or evade arrest, and many states have laws prohibiting sex offenders and other convicted felons from changing their names. The reason for your name change can affect the process of changing your name, and once your name is legally changed, you must change your name on financial documents to avoid confusion and maintain access to your money and bills.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

Notice of Withdrawal for a Divorce

In a divorce case, you often receive many different court documents filed by the attorneys or the parties. In the ...

How Do I Change a Last Will & Testament?

You might decide to change your will for several reasons, including changes in the laws governing your will and changes ...

Can I Reopen a Dismissed Divorce in California or Do I Need to Start All Over?

If your divorce is dismissed in California, that means you must refile, unless the dismissal was caused by your or your ...

What Happens If My Lawyer Quits in a Divorce Fight?

When you sign a retainer agreement with your divorce attorney, you enter into a business relationship with him for the ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED