How to Change the Father's Name on a Birth Certificate in Missouri

By David Carnes

If you are the biological father of a child but are not named on the child's birth certificate, you face significant legal ramifications -- the mother may put the child up for adoption without notifying you, for example, and you can lose all rights to custody. In Missouri, there are two ways to have the child's birth certificate amended to list you as the father -- by executing an Affidavit Acknowledging Paternity and by filing a civil action in court. Executing an Affidavit Acknowledging Paternity is the easiest and most convenient method, as long as you can obtain the mother's cooperation.

Step 1

Undergo a paternity test at an accredited DNA testing facility. DNA paternity tests cost between $400 and $2,000 and require a DNA sample from your child. Although Missouri does not require the results of a paternity test to amend a birth certificate when no one disputes your paternity, the results of a paternity test will establish your paternity beyond reasonable doubt and could be useful in case a paternity dispute arises later.

Step 2

Obtain a copy of your child's birth certificate. Since you have not yet established parternity, the child's mother must obtain this document for you. She can obtain a copy from any local health department in Missouri for a fee of $15 per copy by presenting a government-issued photo ID, filling out an application form and having it notarized.

Get help changing your legal name. Learn More

Step 3

Complete an Affidavit Acknowledging Paternity available on the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services website. This form requires information that appears on the child's birth certificate, as well as information about the mother and father, such as places of birth, dates of birth and current addresses.

Step 4

Execute the Affidavit Acknowledging Paternity by signing together with the child's mother in the presence of a notary public or two witnesses. If the notary public witnesses the signing, he must place his seal on the affidavit. If two witnesses are used, they must sign and date the affidavit and provide their addresses.

Step 5

Mail the Affidavit Acknowledging Paternity to the Missouri Department of Health & Senior Services, Attn: Amendment Unit, P.O. Box 570, Jefferson City, MO 65102, together with a filing fee of $15 (the fee as of 2011). The child's birth certificate will be amended to include your name as the child's legal father.

Get help changing your legal name. Learn More
The Custody of Kids When Not Married in Mississippi



Related articles

How to Change the Father's Name on Birth Certificates in New Hampshire

The birth of a baby is usually a time of great joy and happiness for the parents. The event also creates a birth record, which is kept on file with the state and used throughout the baby's life for a variety of reasons. It is necessary that a birth certificate include accurate and reliable information about the child and his parents. If there is an error or omission on the birth certificate of a child born in New Hampshire, you can correct the certificate through a fairly simple process.

What Are the Causes of Supervised Visitation of a Child in Missouri in a Divorce?

The Missouri court's primary concern when deciding issues of custody is the best interests of the child. Generally, the court considers allowing both parents access to their child to be in the child's best interest. However, under Missouri law, specific problems a parent may have can make it dangerous, physically or emotionally, for the child to visit with that parent alone. In such circumstances, the court may order supervised visitation, which allows the parent access in an environment safe for the child.

Terminating Father's Rights in Michigan

The termination of a father's rights is a legal process that severs all ties the father has to the child. The father will no longer have a right to make decisions regarding the child, to receive visitation or to learn of legal proceedings involving the child. In Michigan, termination of rights can be voluntary or involuntary. Voluntary termination occurs when a father willingly relinquishes his rights, whereas involuntary termination occurs when a father's rights are terminated for a reason. Involuntary termination may be initiated by a parent, guardian or state agency.

Doing the right thing has never been easier. Name Change

Related articles

Father's Procedure in Filing for Child Custody in Missouri

Child custody decisions in Missouri are made according to the child's best interests, and the procedure for both ...

Tennessee Law for Granting Custody to People Who Are Not Married

Tennessee child custody statutes overwhelmingly support the mother in cases where the parents of a child are not ...

Parental Custody Rights to a Newborn Child in Albuquerque, New Mexico

Although births are often joyous events, some births also create legal issues if parents need to establish their ...

The Rights & Responsibilities of a Temporary Guardian in Arkansas

A temporary guardian is a person appointed by the court to play the legal role of a child's parent, when parents are ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED