How to Change a Legal Name in Kansas

By Anna Assad

You can get a new name in Kansas legally by petitioning the district court in your county. You must be a resident of Kansas for at least sixty days before you're allowed to file a name change petition in the state. Kansas state law allows each district court to decide what hearing notice method is used for name change cases, so depending on where you live, you may have to send notice of the name change hearing by mail or publish a legal notice in a Kansas newspaper.

Step 1

Go to the court clerk's office in the district court of your Kansas county of residence. Request the Civil Information Sheet form, the Petition for Name Change form and the Order Changing Name form. Ask the clerk if legal notice of the name change is required by mail or publication in your county. Ask for the Notice of Hearing By Mail form if your county allows notice by mail; you need one form for each person you must notify. Ask for the Notice of Hearing By Publication form if your county requires you to publish the notice in a local newspaper.

Step 2

Complete the civil cover sheet. The civil cover sheet is for use by the court system for filing and document-retrieval purposes. You must enter your personal information, case type and other information that may apply to your case, such as the name of your legal representative, on the sheet. Ask the clerk for assistance if you're not sure what sections of the form apply in your case.

Get help changing your legal name. Learn More

Step 3

Fill out the petition. The exact format differs by district court, but you must state your present name, the name you will be using, the year and place of your birth, your name on your birth certificate, and any other names you're currently using or have used in the past. Write your reason for the name change in the space provided on the petition.

Step 4

File the completed petition and civil information sheet. Ask for a copy for your records. A filing fee is required, but the total due differs among Kansas counties. You will receive a hearing date from the clerk.

Step 5

Fill out the Notice of Hearing By Mail forms if you must serve notice by mail. You typically must send notice to all persons interested in the name change, such as your current creditors. Check the court rules if you're unsure whom to mail notice to. You need the court case number, the name and address of the person you're required to send notice to, and the date, time and place of your name-change hearing. Insert your old and new names in the provided spots. Make copies of all notices you send. Mail the completed forms to the required persons by certified mail, return receipt requested. Save the return receipts.

Step 6

Fill out the Notice of Hearing by Publication if you must run the notice in the newspaper. You need the case number, both the old and new names and the hearing location, date and time. In the objection section, you must enter a date that is at least 41 days after the first day your legal notice runs in the newspaper.

Step 7

Contact a local newspaper to publish the Notice of Hearing by Publication. Bring your notice form but make a copy for yourself. The newspaper you use must be allowed to run legal notices and be in circulation in your county. Arrange for the notice to run in the legal section of the paper one time each week for three consecutive weeks. Ask the newspaper to send you an affidavit of publication immediately after the notice runs three times.

Step 8

Complete the Order Changing Name form. You need to enter the case number, hearing date, present name, the new name, your birthplace and birth year and your reason. Don't sign or date the order; the judge will sign and date the order when it's granted.

Step 9

Attend the hearing. Bring the original affidavit of publication if you published notice in the newspaper or the certified mail receipts or notice form copies if you served notice by mail, and bring the Order Changing name form to the hearing.

Get help changing your legal name. Learn More
How Do I Legally Change My Name in Ohio?



Related articles

How to Change Your Name in California

Golden State residents looking to legally change a given name or surname have a simple procedure for a new moniker. This process means the name seeker must receive an official decree issued by a branch of the California Superior Court where the person resides. An attorney can help you in completing and filing the necessary documents, but the process is not difficult if you have the time to locate the documents and also the availability to go to the court for the hearing.

How to Legally Change a Name in Texas

The state of Texas allows you to change your legal name with a petition, which is then filed in the court of the county where you live. State law sets down the procedures and required forms, while county courts set filing fees and schedule hearings.

How to Change a Child's Name in Texas

Texas laws allow you to legally change a child's name by filing a petition in court. Both parents and any other person who has a court-ordered right and interest in the child must grant consent. Children ten years of age or older must also grant written consent to the name change. The petition and all other necessary forms are filed in the Texas District Court of the county in which the child resides.

Doing the right thing has never been easier. Name Change

Related articles

How to Change Your Name in Idaho

A person 18 years of age or older may change their legal name by following the proper district court procedures. You ...

How to Change a Child's Last Name in Indiana

You can change your minor child's last name in Indiana by filing the proper paperwork in the Indiana county circuit ...

Legal Ways to Change a Child's Last Name in Missouri

The state of Missouri allows minors to legally change their names, but the procedure is more complex and time-consuming ...

How to Change Your Last Name in Tennessee

You can change your name in Tennessee if you're at least 18 and the new name doesn't hinder public interest. Some ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED