How to Change a Middle Name on an Alabama Birth Certificate

By David Carnes

A birth certificate is a fundamental identification document, and the name on a birth certificate normally reflects the baby's original legal name. If you wish to change the middle name on the birth certificate of a registrant born in Alabama, you must have the original birth certificate amended. You may need a court order.

Step 1

Download and print an "Application to Change an Alabama Birth or Death Certificate" form from the website of the Alabama Department of Public Health.

Step 2

Supply the registrant's full name at birth, date of birth, county of birth, hospital of birth, father's full name and mother's full maiden name in the section of the application entitled "Birth."

Get help changing your legal name. Learn More

Step 3

State that you wish to change the registrant's middle name in answer to the question "What changes are you requesting?" Include the registrant's new middle name. If the original middle name was listed on the birth certificate by mistake, note this in your statement.

Step 4

Print your name and supply your mailing address in the Applicant Section at the bottom of the application. State your relationship to the registrant. Your application will be denied unless you are the registrant and at least 19, a parent or guardian of the registrant, or have otherwise been granted legal custody of the registrant. If you wish to authorize someone else to pick up the new birth certificate, list his name. Print your name and sign the application.

Step 5

Prepare a certified check or money order in the amount of the appropriate application fee and payable to the Alabama Department of Public Health.

Step 6

Obtain a copy of a court-ordered name change if the registrant's middle name has already been changed by court order. You must have a court order to change the middle name on the birth certificate of any registrant who has reached his first birthday.

Step 7

Mail the application, court order, if applicable, and check or money order to the Alabama Department of Public Health, Center for Health Statistics, P.O. Box 5625, Montgomery, Alabama 36103-5625. If the name change is approved, Alabama will mail a certified copy of the new birth certificate to the mailing address you supplied. The birth certificate will be marked "Amended."

Get help changing your legal name. Learn More
How to Change a Name on a Louisiana Birth Certificate



Related articles

How to Legally Add a Middle Name to a Birth Certificate in Illinois

If you were born in Illinois and want to add your middle name to your birth certificate, you must apply to the Division of Vital Records at the Illinois Department of Public Health for a name correction. Parents and legal guardians can also request the birth certificate change on behalf of their minor children. The state charges a fee for this service and for copies of the new birth certificate.

How to Register a Sole Proprietorship in the State of Florida

If you plan to start a business in Florida and want to work by yourself, a sole proprietorship might be an appropriate option. Choosing this type of business entity gives you the flexibility to begin transacting business quickly with relatively little paperwork. Starting a sole proprietorship business is less cumbersome than starting other types of businesses, such as corporations and limited liability companies. You can register your business in only a few simple steps.

How to Change the Father's Name on Birth Certificates in New Hampshire

The birth of a baby is usually a time of great joy and happiness for the parents. The event also creates a birth record, which is kept on file with the state and used throughout the baby's life for a variety of reasons. It is necessary that a birth certificate include accurate and reliable information about the child and his parents. If there is an error or omission on the birth certificate of a child born in New Hampshire, you can correct the certificate through a fairly simple process.

Doing the right thing has never been easier.

Related articles

How to Change Your Last Name in Tennessee

You can change your name in Tennessee if you're at least 18 and the new name doesn't hinder public interest. Some ...

How to Change a Name After a Marriage in Illinois

Illinois state laws allow a person who has recently married to change his name without formally petitioning the courts; ...

How to Change My Last Name in My Citizenship Papers

You need to change your last name on your U.S. citizenship certificate if you have a new last name due to marriage, ...

How to Get Apostilles in Alabama

Apostilles authenticate public documents for acceptance in foreign countries that abide by the Hague Convention's ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED